Motion Sensors for HOT warehouses

I have a warehouse in Miami, FL, and am looking for a quality motion sensor. Keep in mind, in the summer, it gets to be EXTREMELY hot (over 100 degrees). Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated/.

Reply to
Miami Lakes Perfumes
Loading thread data ...

microwave only or photo beam

RTS

I have a warehouse in Miami, FL, and am looking for a quality motion sensor. Keep in mind, in the summer, it gets to be EXTREMELY hot (over 100 degrees). Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated/.

Reply to
RockyTSquirrel

Without knowing other aspects of the environment (or the building's construction), I would strongly suggest that the micro-wave part of your suggestion carry a few cautions and provisos. :-)

Photo-beams could work, but could also represent a significant cash outlay.

Reply to
Frank Kurz

If using microwave detection only, you must consider if there are large metal objects within the warehouse. Microwaves bounce off of metal surfaces and can cause random false alarms. On the other hand, microwaves can penetrate non metal objects and sense motion of larger than human objects at many times the rated distance of the motion detector. That is ... through wooden/sheetrock walls and windows.

If using photo beams, you must determine that the areas through which the beams travel will remain clear during the times the system is armed. This shortcoming could also cause difficulty in arming the system if, for instance, items are left in asles overnight. This could be cause for bypassing zones on a regular basis by unconcerned employees, rather than clearing the asles before leaving at night. If single beam detectors are used, they can be avoided much easier than motion detectors, by people who are familiar with the warehouse, such as employees. Multi beam photo electric beams would be recommended for the best chance of detection and the lowest chance of circumvention.

I think that Sentrol ( Now UTC ) used to make a high temp motion detector, but you'd have to check with them now.

Reply to
Jim

Actually that would be Cold Temp Motion. The 6160CT is primary for a cold environment. Never heard of a High Temp??

Reply to
ABLE1

Hmmm ..... you're probably right. I do remember having to use the cold temp unit in a food cooler once, a long time ago but I thought I remembered them (or someone) advertising a high temp unit ...... someplace. Maybe Visonic (?) Too long ago to remember accurately.

If you think about it ..... the detector would actually have to compare the movement of a cooler object against a hot background. I can imagine a dual element detector .... one element working normally and the other element using inverse logic to detect movement. Not a product that there would be that much call for. You could call it an Infradark detector.

Reply to
Jim

Or maybe a speed of dark detector...............................

Reply to
ABLE1

Let's see ..... that means it would be either PID detector or a PSOD detector.

I think the British might have a problem calling it a PSOD.

Reply to
Jim

If you want to use a detector that works in hostile warehouse environments, there is only one I can say I have used without any problems. That is the Bosch OD 850 series detector.

formatting link

Reply to
Just Looking

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.