installing extra power supply for 8132i

I'm installing a 8132i keypad for my vista 128FBP system, and have a question about the supplemental power supply for it. I orderd the

8132ipk so it cames with the AD12612 power supply/charger. The documentation for the power supply says to use a 4AH Gel Cell battery. Would I be asking for trouble if I used a 7.2AH battery? I'd rather use the 7.2 because it's the same battery model i'm using for backup power on the main panel, and I would prefer have a longer backup time.

Also, I need to get an enclosure to put the charger & battery into. Is that something that I can pick up at my local electrical supply house? If not does anyone have a suggestion of where I should order one online?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Reply to
Scott_DC
Loading thread data ...

Go for it. Charging circuit on the panel is the same for a 12V4Ah as it would be if it spec'd the 12V7.2 Ah.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

If you do, you could wind up with a major thermo-bass-o-theric event. Probably wind up melting your thingie and the whozitz too (I won't even mention what could happen to the customer's robertinator).

Seriously, "the bigger the better", (or so my wife keeps saying). :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

ok - so i picked up another 7.2ah battery to use for this. Now what should I do for an enclosure?

Reply to
Scott_DC

Home Depot electrical department, or an electronic equipement store should have an enclosure. It probalby won't match but I don't know if cosmetics is that important. A couple of feet of 18 ga. stranded wire (black and red), some connectors for the battery terminals and you are all set. Before you do this, are you sure that the new battery won't fit inside the alarm panel box? They usually do unless there is an over abundance of wire in the panel. Many times, if there is excess wire, it will slide back into the wall through the hole in the back of the box giving you more room in the box itself. If the installation company used the box as a splice box with multiple splice connections, which they shouldn't have really done, don't put them in the wall. Leave things alone and add the battery enclosure.

222 18687 body

Home Depot electrical department, or an electronic equipement store should have an enclosure. It probalby won't match but I don't know if cosmetics is that important. A couple of feet of 18 ga. stranded wire (black and red), some connectors for the battery terminals and you are all set. Before you do this, are you sure that the new battery won't fit inside the alarm panel box? They usually do unless there is an over abundance of wire in the panel. Many times, if there is excess wire, it will slide back into the wall through the hole in the back of the box giving you more room in the box itself. If the installation company used the box as a splice box with multiple splice connections, which they shouldn't have really done, don't put them in the wall. Leave things alone and add the battery enclosure.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Another thing to remember is that if you're going to mount the battery remote from the panel/power supply (in a seperate enclosure) always install an inline fuse near one of the battery terminals. Better "safe than sorry".

Reply to
Frank Olson

There are already two batteries in the panel and definately no room for another unless i want to turn them on end, or start stacking them.

Reply to
Scott_DC

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.