power supply questions

I want to add a couple outdoor PIR detectors and an outdoor IR Illuminator. The Crow PIRs are rated 8-16 VDC at a modest 8.4 mA, and the RayMAX Fusion

50 IR Illuminator is rated 12/24 V AC/DC at 25W. The PIRs will be used to trigger a camera and IR.

Couple of quick questions.

- Would you recommend one power supply for everything, or would you use separate power supply for the illuminiator and if so why?

- Which power supply(s) would you recommend for this application?

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser
Loading thread data ...

Hi Christopher, Your total load at 12 Volts is approx 2.5 Amp (Including extra load if PIRs' are being activated). My personal choice would be a 12 Volt 5Amp Fused, Regulated Supply by any of the good Manufacturers. If you are using mains operated cctv equipment there is little point in having battery back-up in the PSU

Reply to
Father Jack

Thanks for the quick response. My cameras are IP with POE that run to the computer room that happens to have good battery backup, but our power here is quite stable and I don't anticipate theft during one of the rare outages, so I probably won't bother with battery backup on the PSU. I should have asked, what gauge wire for the IR Illuminator? What guage wire for the PIRs and PIR relay triggers?

Also, you could help my PSU google search if you recommend one or two good brands / models.

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

I like the Altronix line of Power supplies along with stealth products

Reply to
nick markowitz

I found a wire gauge calculator on the net. The calculator only had VAC. Does 12VAC require a similar gauge as 12VDC? Here are the calculations, assuming 12VAC is the same as 12VDC.

IR Illuminator - 12 VDC, 75', 25 W

10% loss recommends 14 gauge 5% loss recommends 12 gauge

So, I'm guessing 12 gauge stranded for the 12 VDC 25W IR Illuminator would suffice, is that correct?

For the Crow Daredevil PIRs and triggers, I'm guessing 22 gauge is more than adequate, correct?

Also, the Illuminator will take either AC or DC, while the PIRs are DC only. Is there a benefit to using 12 VAC for the Illuminator? Are there PSUs that provide both 12VAC and 12VDC? Or, should I just keep it simple and get one

12VDC supply to run both the Illuminator and the PIRs.

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

Thanks, I really appreciate all the help.

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

From Wiki - "For long-distance distribution, HVDC systems are less expensive and suffer lower electrical losses. For shorter distances, the higher cost of DC conversion equipment compared to an AC system may be warranted where other benefits of direct current links are useful."

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.