Hidden contact long drill bits?

Where do you get *very* long drill bits for drilling from a door or window through the wall and up into the attic?

The kind I have seen have a narrow 5 ft. long rod welded to a regular drill bit, then there is a hole drilled through the end of the bit and at the end of the rod. Then when you have drilled a hole through to the attic, you can thread a wire through the end of the drill bit, then pull the wire back out through the hole you just drilled.

Reply to
Bill
Loading thread data ...

Home Depot, Lowes. js

Reply to
alarman

Yellow Pages - Electric Equipment & Supplies - Wholesale.

Bob

Reply to
Robertm

Yellow Pages are my friend. Electrical supply store in town has them. Can you imagine the shipping charge on buying something like this over the internet? And UPS would have fun bending up something this long.

Bob

Reply to
Robertm

Will your roof pitch allow you to reach the tip of the bit to attach the wire?

Ranch houses usually don't have that steep a pitched roof to allow easy access to the tip of the drill bit. If this is the case, you'll may find that you will have to use a fish tape ( snake ) to push up through the drilled hole, into the attic, so that you can attach the wire to something you can reach. Be sure to mark the shaft of the bit with a piece of tape, so that you don't drill through the roof.

Snakeing the wire into the attic may be a good test of your patience if you have no experience.

Reply to
Jim

Home Depot carries them.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Every specialized tool has a name. The name you are looking for is DiversiBit or something. like that. Home Depot has a full selection, not sure about Lowes. Try Google, Google is your FRIEND.

Reply to
MikeyB

aw com'on drilling through the roof is fun.

| > The kind I have seen have a narrow 5 ft. long rod welded to a regular drill | > bit, then there is a hole drilled through the end of the bit and at the end | > of the rod. Then when you have drilled a hole through to the attic, you can | > thread a wire through the end of the drill bit, then pull the wire back out | > through the hole you just drilled. | | | Will your roof pitch allow you to reach the tip of the bit to attach | the wire? | | Ranch houses usually don't have that steep a pitched roof to allow easy | access to the tip of the drill bit. If this is the case, you'll may | find that you will have to use a fish tape ( snake ) to push up through | the drilled hole, into the attic, so that you can attach the wire to | something you can reach. Be sure to mark the shaft of the bit with a | piece of tape, so that you don't drill through the roof. | | Snakeing the wire into the attic may be a good test of your patience if | you have no experience. |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Home Depot

Reply to
<thesatguy1

Not if it's a three storey home.

Reply to
Jim

That'd be a reallly long diversabit if you were in the basement, eh?!

| >

| >

| | Not if it's a three storey home. |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Hey, now there's a good question.

What's the longest drill bit anyone has ever used?

I've just recently had to use 5 foot bit with a 4 foot extension. First time in a long time I've had to use anything longer than 5 foot.

Reply to
Jim

I tried that once but broke the bit off in the wall...too much twisty action...so I'd have to say 5 ft.

| >

| Hey, now there's a good question. | | What's the longest drill bit anyone has ever used? | | I've just recently had to use 5 foot bit with a 4 foot extension. | First time in a long time I've had to use anything longer than 5 foot. |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

6 foot here
Reply to
Mark Leuck

Six foot's about the longest I've used (even recently)...

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.