CAT5E vs CAT6

For you IT geniuses out there.

What practical, and theoretical differences are there in capacity between Cat5E and CAT6 cable?

Reply to
David Hartung
Loading thread data ...

The general difference between category 5e and category 6 is in the transmission performance, and extension of the available bandwidth from 100 MHz for category 5e to 200 MHz for category 6. This includes better insertion loss, near end crosstalk (NEXT), return loss, and equal level far end crosstalk (ELFEXT). These improvements provide a higher signal-to-noise ratio, allowing higher reliability for current applications and higher data rates for future applications.

Reply to
Lonewolf

In your opinion, do the benefits make the additional cost worthwhile?

Reply to
David Hartung

I work mostly with VoIP so I'd have to say yes. If I was installing it in a network I expected to grow and last, I think I'd consider that justification as well. For most situations, CAT5e is fine so I'd have to consider my situation to try to justify the cost.

Reply to
Lonewolf

Thank you.

Reply to
David Hartung

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.