Newbie hook-up question

I hope somebody can help me.

I am having trouble hooking parts of my system up.

I have:

Marantz SR7300 A/V Receiver Sony KDE-37XS955 HDTV Motorola HD cable box JVC HR S5902U VCR Panasonic DVD RV32

I want to record and playback VHS can somebody help with a schematic?

Right now I have

1. all digital audio is running to 7300
  2. component running from cable box to TV
  3. the DVD (component) running to the TV
  4. the RF is running to the VHS
  5. the VHS (S-video) running to the TV

Is this correct? Should I be running the RF to the VHS at all? My cable provider doesn't support HDMI yet. Should any video be running trough the 7300? I am using a harmony universal remote to control as much as possible.

ANY help is appreciated.

Reply to
bmitd67
Loading thread data ...

In order: This sounds correct. Yes, if you'd like to keep recording programs on VHS. And finally, no, at least I've never routed a VCR record loop through the receiver(too complicated). Then again, with that remote, it might not be so bad!

Reply to
nselson

I've got my RF cable going into a splitter, and from there into both the VCR and my STB. My STB is connected to my receiver, both for digital coaxial audio and S-video. My VCR is connected to my receiver for analog audio and composite video. My receiver is connected to my TV with component video (my Yamaha RX-V750 receiver has video upconversion). The advantage to this setup is that I switch everything on my receiver instead of the TV, which is handy for me because if I did it though the TV, I need to cycle through all the inputs. On my receiver's remote, I press just one button and I'm there. It's one extra cable, but I find it much more convenient. The downside is that I can't record on the VCR any channels above 125, which doesn't matter to me, because I rarely watch anything on those higher channels. Anyway, I just like having EVERYTHING going to the receiver; it just seems easier somehow.

cheers, supervij

Reply to
vij

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.