wifi security alarm system

Are there any wifi security alarm systems that can use the computer as a means for sending an email to a cell phone or work email if an intruder opens a door? Maybe even remoe activation and de-activation.

Reply to
gencode
Loading thread data ...

Elk M1 Gold. You don't even "need" the computer...

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

I'm interested in hearing what else can you do with the M1XEP interfce. For example, could you send UDP packets (like the ASCII data used to other interfaces) when certain events happen or are you restricted to email/other protocols? What are the DO components which can use the M1XEP? You can use the ethernet port for programming the M1 correct?

thanks,

-jr

Frank Ols>

Reply to
James Russo

You're going to force me to buy one of these suckers and connect it to my system, aren't you?? :-))

I don't believe the hardware/current firmware will support sending UDP packets that you'll be able to receive. The unit is designed to communicate with listed Central Station hardware though. Some CS's support internet monitoring as an alternative to dedicated line or long range radio. AFAIK you can't use the ethernet port for programming the M1. You can access a "virtual keypad" and accomplish many of the tasks that a normal user would have control over through the regular hard-wired keypad. Any of the DO components you can access with the hard-wired keypad, you'll be able to access with the M1XEP. Hope this helps.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Frank,

It's either you or me.. and I don't have an M1 yet.. :-/ So, the M1EXP just basically gives you virtual keypad and the monitoring solutions? To use the software you would have to still have a serial link into the unit? That seems like a waste.

-jr

Frank Ols>>I'm interested in hearing what else can you do with the M1XEP interfce.

Reply to
James Russo

Heh...

Well get one!! I'm sure "old" Robert (and a few dozen other online stores) will be only to glad to oblige. :-)

And the ability to send you an email...

Just wait a little while... With Elk's reputation for providing "cutting edge" solutions, I'm certain the M1EXP'll be able to accomplish what you want in a few months... give or take a few more... :-))

Reply to
Frank Olson

You can setup custom strings for various events and send them to whichever port(s) you like, including any of the serial ports and the XEP. For more details, please specify what you'd like to accomplish.

The Ethernet port can be used to program the M1. Open the RP software and select network as the connection mode.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

Yea. I know where to buy them...It's the wife who I need to convince. She's still complains about the pronto, and asterisk (the phone system)...

heh. Well, at least they are open to adding new stuff..

-jr

Reply to
James Russo

I'd like to write something which can interface with my phone system (running asterisk). Basically if I could get the M1 to send a packet of data according to a rule that would be ideal.. Then I can handle it from there. It would be similar to the commands which would be sent down a serial line, it's just that they would be bundled up in a UDP packet for some application to recieve. Instead of being sent to a specific serial port on the M1, it would be sent to an ip address and a port..

Cool. That is good to know.. When I get an M1, I'll surely get this adapter.. I need to get some structued wiring in the house first though.

-jr

Reply to
James Russo

I checked with ELK on this and it they indicate you can send ASCII strings via the M1XEP based on rules.

TTBOMK this is doable. Elk is good about talking to end users, even potential ones. Here's their tech number: 800-797-9355.

Hmm. You might also like to know that Elk also makes a structured wiring box which supports standard modules from several major players plus the M1 controller and accessories.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

You can send ASCII strings without the need for the M1XEP. The standard RS-232 serial port (that's already part of the basic panel) will handle this.

formatting link

Why not simply give him your dealer code and password??

Kewl. Haven't seen one of those. Is it anything like DSC's??

Reply to
Frank Olson

I suggest you read the gentleman's question. I quoted it below for your benefit:

"I'm interested in hearing what else can you do with the M1XEP interfce. For example, could you send UDP packets (like the ASCII data used to other interfaces) when certain events happen or are you restricted to email/other protocols? What are the DO components which can use the M1XEP? You can use the ethernet port for programming the M1 correct?"

The M1 does include a built-in RS232 serial port, expandable to 8 ports. However, the gentleman is interested in learning what things he can do over his network and/or the Internet.

ELK will give him his own password if he asks. Any posts he makes to ELK's forum will be listed as his -- not mine.

Have you seen DSC's product yet?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I suggest you read up on the M1XEP. It doesn't send ASCII strings.

Sure have!! We sell a bundle of 'em from our counter. ;-))

Reply to
Frank Olson

It's an Ethernet port. It will send whatever the M1Gold tells it to send, including ASCII strings.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

True.

Nope. The M1XEP won't send ASCII strings to turn on lights, or operate other devices. It's strictly a gateway to a Java enabled remote keypad you can access over the internet and can be used to communicate alarms to a CS that's set up for internet monitoring as well. Read the freakin' manual.

The M1Gold will send ASCII strings over it's on-board RS232 port with no need to purchase any other add-on device to communicate with another computer or system capable of receiving them.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.