Web controlled Music Server

I have a spare PC set up as a 'music server' with all my MP3s connected to my HiFi amp. This works fine at the moment as long as I use a keyboard and monitor on that machine to control the music (using Windows Media Player).

What I want to do is put that PC in a cupboard and forget about it and use another device (my home office PC or my Wi-Fi Palm) via my Wi-Fi intranet to control it and play the music from other rooms. I'm not talking about streaming the music back to that device, merely controling the music server so the output goes into my HiFi system (which is already wired all over my home).

Surely I'm not the only one to want to do this? But searches find nothing.

Can you help?

Reply to
Zippy
Loading thread data ...

Zippy,

If your "music server" and office desktop are running Windows XP, you can use the built-in Remote Desktop to control the music server. You will see the server screen on the remote computer, and can control it as if you were sitting in front of it.

If you're not running XP, or if you want to use your Palm device, you can download VNC from

formatting link
Regards, Eric

Reply to
eschuylerTAKE

Depends. Can you ask a specific question? :-)

I *think* what you're asking for is a web-based Jukebox app. There are so many of them, free and otherwise, that it would be hard to list them all. So I'll just point out one that I use:

formatting link
's free, open source, works well, plays on the PC and also serves Squeezeboxes or any other streaming MP3/internet radio tuner.

Hope that helps.

Reply to
Mark Thomas

Take a look at Jinzora. I run it in Jukebox mode connected to my home audio system and control it using a web browser. Really slick!

Reply to
NewsReader

formatting link

It is a free application that lets you remotely control the remote PC as if you was there. You can run that PC from a window on another computer as needed.

Reply to
John Hines

This is what I did:

formatting link

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Thanks to everyone who replied. I'll work through the options and come back to this thread when I get it running. Malc.

Reply to
Zippy

Check out

formatting link

Tony

Reply to
TonyNo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.