Pool valve X10 automation question

I have just had a pool installed and I'd like to automate one of the valves. It is a Jandy Neverlube valve, with a 2" pipe.

The lights are already on X10 from the electrician, and all I want to do is automate that one valve. I don't want a more expensive control system, just a X10 interface.

So my question is, I can get the Jandy or similar control actuator, but what interface does the actuator have, is it a simple X10 on/off singal? How would this work?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Carl snipped-for-privacy@austin.rr.com

Reply to
cswanson2
Loading thread data ...

The Jandy valve needs 24vac to operate in either direction. You can use an X10 Universal Module to operate a SPDT relay that's wired to provide the voltage to either the 'close' or 'open' lead. If you need a diagram, let me know.

From: snipped-for-privacy@austin.rr.com snipped-for-privacy@austin.rr.com

Reply to
BruceR

First, the Jandy actuators are available in EITHER 12 or 24V. Choose. I prefer the 24V (higher torque, lower amps = less heat and arguably better life) but either works.

Second, don't do this with X10 if you can avoid it. It simply isn't reliable enough. You want something with positive control.

If you MUST use X10, a contact-closure module (easily available) will work along with an SPDT relay to drive the appropriate wires on the Jandy actuator.

Better is an ADICON RLY8XA, which can be driven either directly off HomeDaemon (see my web page for source that will compile on most modern Unix machines) or, if you insist directly off X10.

If you get the 12V version of the Jandy, the RLY8XA and the Jandy unit can both be driven off the same power supply.

--

Reply to
Karl Denninger

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.