automation for dust collector

I have a wood shop in my basement and would like to automate the startup/shutdown of my dust collector unit. It is a 220v unit plumbed to 4 separate power tools (3 are 110v, 1 is 220v). My ideal configuration would be to have the dust collector start immediately when any of the 4 tools are powerd on, and remain on for a few seconds after the tool is turned off.

I have been using a keychain remote control with an X10 system to manually control the unit. For some reason I just fried the 2nd appliance control module since I've had the system. Instead of replacing the manual system I am hoping to automate.

I am familiar with electronics, including relays and timer circuits, and am interested in any sugggestions on how to accompish this task. In particular, is there a way to detect when the motor in any of the tools starts without having to wire directly into the switch? Is there a way to do this without running additional wiring to all of the tools?

Thanks in advance for any advice/guidance!

Reply to
Hank
Loading thread data ...

Hi Hank, First off I would never trust an X10 device to control the high current end of your dust collector. Use a double pole contactor that has a 120vac coil. Then use an X-10 appliance module to fire the contactor. This will give added protection from the startup current of the dust collector motor.

There are current sensors that clamp clamp over the hot leads of your tools in the breaker panel. They can be hooked up to the X-10 module that looks for switch closures. Setups like this are used in building automation systems to run things like hot and cold water loop pumps, HVAC etc. in buildings. They don't use X-10, but are low voltage low current to high voltage high current controls.

I use a current sensor to monitor the status of my well pump. It triggers my home automation system and gives me a recorded start/stop status. This way I can see if I have a leak in my irrigation loop.

I h> I have a wood shop in my basement and would like to automate the

Reply to
Brad

Nuts and Volts magazine had a project in the March and April 2002 issues. A video can be found here:

formatting link

Reply to
Lewis Gardner

Search ebay for "current sensor" and "current transformer". Pass one conductor through the middle of the sensor. What to do with the sensor output depends on the sort of sensor you use. With variable output sensors, you may be able to detect two different devices uniquely with a single sensor. Whether you need to run additional wiring depends on how the tools are wired up.

For one idea, see:

formatting link

(I've bought boatloads various sorts of current transducers for a couple of dollars each and now have too many. More stuff for the upcoming "Porch Sale".)

HTH ... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

Hi Hank,

Use current sensing switches at the breaker panel to throw a timer any time the tools are in use. You'll need at least 2 sensors since the 220VAC tool is on a separate breaker pair from the others. The timer should be set to stay on while the trigger is hot and then begin a countdown to shutoff. Altronix and ELK Products both make a number of timers. ELK also makes a decent 220VAC relay which can be controlled by low voltage and/or X10 signal. I prefer the wired input to X10 but it does give you the option.

The ELK control module is their model ELK-9100. There's detailed info on it at:

formatting link

The ELK-960 is a timer module. Here's a URL for it:

formatting link
Altronix' timer is model 6062. Following is the URL:
formatting link
Finally, the Altronix relay module is a RAC120:
formatting link
Note that the ELK module is the only one that's fully enclosed. In a dust environment that might be the better choice. It is also designed to be installed directly onto an electrical cabinet, making it possible to fit the unit onto the outside of the breaker panel similar to a doorbell transformer.

There are lots of other good brands available. I happen sell ELK and Altronix online so I'm a little biased in their favor.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Note: for code compliance you should consider routing the cables powering the tools through a small electrical box mounted near the breaker panel. Inspectors don't like "foreign objects" in the breaker panel, even ones designed for the application.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.