Need telephone access in my wireless shop

I have a shop about 400' from the house, hooked together with 2 WRT54G routers, the one in shop is a bridge, both are using DD-WRT firmware. I'm running Win XP on both. I need a telephone in the shop and was wondering if there is any way to do this over the wifi connection and then back to my landline at the house? I would plug a telephone into dialup modem card at the shop and plug landline into dialup modem card in the house and then be able to make and receive telephone calls in the shop. Does anyone know if this is possible? Thanks for any info.

Reply to
JW
Loading thread data ...

You need some VOIP boxes that'll take POTS and put it on your LAN and then take it off you LAN and turn it back into POTS. I'm having a brain freeze on the vendor I've seen, but it'll come to me...

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

POTS to VoIP adapter.

formatting link
of vendors on eBay for $40 to $60 each.

However, if there's a common AC power line going between the garage and the house, a poweline phone contraption might be cheaper and better.

formatting link
CATV and satellite vendors use these and one can often find them for next to nothing.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I tried this 2 or 3 years ago, every time it rained I lost my telephone, then would have to reset at the house and reset in the shop. Then eventually the telephone setup quit working in the shop. I think it still works in a shed about 100 ft. from the house. Very fussy as to what equipment could be plugged in close to it's outlet, but putting it on it's own circuit didn't solve anything either.

Reply to
JW

formatting link

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

I don't have a huge amount of experience running Phonex adapters over long power lines. The FAQ claims 100ft:

formatting link
have one pair setup with about 100ft of AC power line. No problems. I even use it with a dialup modem but only get about 14Kbit/sec.

Another possibility is to use a 900MHz (not 2.4GHz) cordless phone and a pair of external antennas. There are high power phones that have tremendous range:

formatting link
might work. However, methinks just attaching a pair of directional 900MHz antennas to each end of a common 900MHz cordless phone link will be good enough.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Groan. That should be 1000ft. (Yacking on the phone while typing).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.