What free software firewall to run?

I have a hardware firewall (a real one, not just a router). But I'd like to run a software firewall too, to protect my computer from other computers on my home network. There wouldn't be a problem with having both a hardware and software firewall, would there? Does anyone have any suggestions for a free software firewall for Windows 2000?

Reply to
void.no.spam.com
Loading thread data ...

Are the machines sharing resouces on the LAN. Would you have the PFW(s) on the machines configures to share resources?

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

If *you* can't trust the other computers on *your* home network, then

*you* need to take a solid look at why you have a home network in the first place.
Reply to
optikl

"Trusting" any computer/network is what leads to compromised computers.

While I have 5 networks in my home, I have at least one computer in each network that looks for traffic in their network, in addition to the firewall logs. I don't see why I should "Trust" any computer in my network at any time.

As a matter of fact, each server has the admin account renamed, not the same name as any other, and a different password than any other server. None of the public facing servers/devices share names/passwords....

Trust is what gets you into trouble - always suspect.

Reply to
Leythos

Well, that was my point, too. Too many people set up home networks, for convenience and think that by just installing an AV utility and a personal firewall, they can trust the network is secure.

Reply to
optikl

Try free Sygate Personal Firewall v5.6 b2808.

formatting link

Reply to
Casey

Does it have the same security design flaws as version 5.5, or are those fixed now?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Maybe you can post the design flaws and your testing methods to prove them or a link to a reputable site that tested it and provides the analysis for the design flaw?

Did you know that another web site carries this entire group as though it's their forum?

Reply to
Leythos

Yes, please do! Casey

Reply to
Casey

One Design Flaw of the 5.5 version is, that it installs a system service, which opens Windows.

This is a security design flaw; to understand, why it is, you should first read the security considerations of Microsoft for interactive services:

formatting link
From there:

| Security Considerations for Interactive Services | | Services running in an elevated security context, such as the | LocalSystem account, should not create a window on the interactive | desktop, because any other application that is running on the | interactive desktop can interact with this window. This exposes the | service to any application that a logged-on user executes.

To see, that Sygate installs such a service, i.e. use Spy++ to indentify the Popup-Windows and their related process:

formatting link
Then you'll see yourself, that theses Windows are opened by a system service.

And this means, that Sygate's programmers never read the mandatory documentation about basic security design for Windows services, or did not understand it or just ignored it.

May I ask again: has the 5.6 version of Sygate the same design flaw?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

formatting link

No, it means that they may have followed this information, as linked by you - why don't you tell us what specific method they used:

Security Considerations for Interactive Services

Services running in an elevated security context, such as the LocalSystem account, should not create a window on the interactive desktop, because any other application that is running on the interactive desktop can interact with this window. This exposes the service to any application that a logged-on user executes. Also, services that are running as LocalSystem should not access the interactive desktop by calling the OpenWindowStation or GetThreadDesktop function.

The following list identifies the two ways that a service can interact with a user without creating an interactive service:

• Display a message box by calling the MessageBox function with MB_SERVICE_NOTIFICATION. This is recommended for displaying simple status messages. Do not call MessageBox during service initialization or from the HandlerEx routine, unless you call it from a separate thread, so that you return to the SCM in a timely manner. * Create a separate hidden GUI application and use the CreateProcessAsUser function to run the application within the context of the interactive user. Design the GUI application to communicate with the service through some method of interprocess communication (IPC), for example, named pipes. The service communicates with the GUI application to tell it when to display the GUI. The client communicates the results of the user interaction back to the service so that the service can take the appropriate action. Note that IPC can expose your service interfaces over the network unless you use an appropriate access control list (ACL).

Future versions of Windows may not support interactive services. Therefore, it is better to use another approach to support interaction between a user and a service.

Reply to
Leythos

formatting link

Most likely nothing has changed much from 5.5 to 5.6 Volker, at least in that respect..

Reply to
Kerodo

formatting link

formatting link

Do any other free firewalls have this flaw, like Kerio 2.1.5 or Outpost or = Tiny?

Reply to
void

Kerodo wrote: [One of Sygate's security design flaws]

How sad. They really should know now.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Following our tests, at least Outpost, Sygate and Tiny have this flaw. We have tested Outpost 2.5, Sygate 5.5 and Tiny 6.0.

Kerio seemed to be the best one of the worse, to say it clear: the less bad one :-/

Also Kerio had strange flaws, like that this program opens a socket itself bound to 0.0.0.0. (?)

The rest was just catastrophic, including errors like filtering away the data which should be protected (like Symantec Norton and Zone Alarm do), which potentially can be used to get to know this data (for Symantec Norton, there is an easy attack already).

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Is that a problem?

This is still Kerio you are talking about? What do you mean by "filtering away the data which should be protected"? Which data is that?

Do you have a recommendation for a free firewall for Windows 2000?

Thanks.

Reply to
void.no.spam.com

It's exaclty the opposite a "Personal Firewall" should do. And if it's only for local communication:

- Why aren't they binding to and interface of 127.0.0.0/8?

- Why are they using TCP at all and not one of the purely local IPC methods?

- And how can you trust into the programmers of a security tool, which are designing such nonsense?

No. About the others.

The functionality to secure PINs and passwords, Symantec Norton and Zone Alarm are offering; please read

Unfortunately, I haven't. This is, why I'm recommending Torsten's script at

formatting link
for that purpose. And because this is a little difficult to handle for a home user, I hacked

formatting link
Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

There are two way: 1) Split your network into subnets and filter among them ;-). wipfw may be a good thing to do that.

2) "Harden" your or better each of your computers against attacks from the LAN:

- Use a access authorisation / role concept to manage your access rights (it's an immanent part of WindowsNT/2k/XP).

- Only offer such shares / services you want.

- Stay secure up to date.

see above (wipfw).

formatting link
is another good entry point.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Ewert

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.