SonicWall Help?

I normally wouldn't consider this to be the right forum for a specific product, but I'm really stuck. SonicWALL support is just awful and I'm getting pretty frustrated here. Here's the story:

- We have a number of servers that serve out a public service.

- Each server has a public IP address on 131.107.58.0/26 with a default gateway of 131.107.58.1 (our ISPs gateway)

- Each server also has a "back tier" connection of 10.10.1.0/24. There is no gateway out of this subnet.

- Currently we firewall by setting ACLs on the switch

We bought a pair of PRO 3060s to take care of our firewall needs and I was told that this firewall could just slip into our current setup. It was described as follows:

- 100Mb ISP link goes into the WAN port of the 3060 (this link is currently in our switch)

- Link goes from the LAN port on the 3060 to our switch

- We configure the server in "Transparent Mode" placing an IP of

131.107.58.2 on the 3060 and the range from 131.107.58.3-63 on "IntraNet"

Is this correct? Because if it is, it doesn't work. What ends up happening is the arp entry on each server for the default gateway (131.107.58.1) ends up being being mapped to the MAC of the 3060 and all servers lose connectivity.

I really need help here and the support system that they have is just awful. They're friendly, but I feel that they're more interested in finding a way to fling the issue back on my lap so I have to wait another 24 hours for a response (jokes like "We will need your serial number before we can continue" and things like that).

Thanks guys. I hope someone can help.

Michael

Reply to
Michael
Loading thread data ...

Oh my god... I wish that they'd just let me do it in Linux. But, these firewalls were purchased before I got to this company and I inherited this project. I can push back on newer projects but I feel like I need to see this one through...

Michael

Reply to
Michael

Michael, isn't this a reason to simply return the boxes? Or are you planning on being stuck with bad support for the life of the boxes?

Reply to
shopping.nowthor.com

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 11:01:45 -0700, Michael spoketh

Isn't that what is supposed to happen? The servers needs to get directed to the Sonicwall in order to get to the router, so I would think that your arp table should look like that.

However, your problem might be on the router, not the firewall. Since it has an arp table as well, you putting the firewall in between the router and computers (and switch), it's arp table has become invalid, and it might be trying to send traffic through using an old (and invalid) arp entry. Try to clear out the arp cache on the router and see if that helps.

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link
Remove "bad" from my e-mail address to contact me. "If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?"

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 19:24:41 GMT, shopping.nowthor.com spoketh

What, so he can buy some firewalls from you instead?

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link
Remove "bad" from my e-mail address to contact me. "If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?"

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen

Not making much sense.

The arp enetries SHOULD map to the mac of the sonicwall - that is what it is supposed to do. That is how it functions a s a firewall. The packets to the deafault gateway go to the sonicwalls mac address, and it then passes the on to the real gateway. That should not hose the connections.

There is an option to turn this behavior off, but it's undocumented. go to http://(sonicwall's ip address)/diag.html, click on the andvanced prefs button and check off the box labeled "enable arp bridging" (or something like that - don't rememebr the exact wording)

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.