Need Older Firewall

My wife's comp is an older pentium w/o SP 2 or any updates. I had Kerio

2..1.5 on it, but in the last few months Kerio kept getting corrupted and causing problems. What is a decent older firewall that will keep at least most of the old malware tricks at bay.
Reply to
marcus78
Loading thread data ...

Forgot to add that here XP Pro is an earlier edition w/o the Windows Firewall.

Reply to
marcus78

The Windows Firewall was included ever since XP RTM. Before SP2 it just isn't switched on by default.

And before worrying about any kind of firewall you should get the latest security fixes for all software running on that machine. Anything else means just fooling yourself.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Installing all the updates is far more important than adding a firewall. The only excuse I can imagine for not updating to at least SP2 and the subsequent security updates (but preferably SP3) is that it is an unlicensed copy of Windows. If that is the case, either buy it or install something else legally (linux, BSD, Solaris, etc.). If it is a licensed copy, update everything

If the computer has been connected to the internet for any length of time, it is almost guaranteed that a SP1 system has multiple infections, so you're probably going to have to reinstall anyway.

With an updated XP system, it's more beneficial to have a hardware firewall. If you don't already, you should have it behind a router with NAT turned on and UPnP turned off. Once you've done that, the built-in firewall in XP does quite well. If you want something more than that for some reason, on an older system I would recommend the last freeware version of Tiny Personal Firewall. It does what it's supposed to do and is very light on resources. You can find it here:

formatting link

Reply to
G

snipped

It is Windows XP Pro ver. 5.1 and does not have any security icon or anything like it in the Control Panel. If it the XP firewall I'd use it instead of screwing around with old ones.

Reply to
marcus78

formatting link
cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.