assigning ip addresses in wireless network

Hello, I am wondering if anyone can tell me if there is any advantage to assigning IP addresses to the computers on my wireless network. I have a linksys WRK54G router and 2 desktops and 2 laptops on my network. All four are running XP. At least once or twice a week the network will drop one of my computers and I cannot get it connected until I unplug the router and then plug it back in. I am wondering if assigning IP addresses will help me avoid this problem.

Also one of my laptops is my work computer. If I assign it an IP address at home that is different than the one it uses to connect at my office, will I be creating additional problems for myself? Thanks for your help. Ken

Reply to
kmd4000
Loading thread data ...

Thanks a lot Duane, I appreciate your help. Maybe I'll try updating the firmware and see if that improves things before I assign IP addresses.

Reply to
kmd4000

" snipped-for-privacy@remove.hotmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I don't think that's going to fix your problem. If the router is dropping the connection or the a computer is loosing the connection, that's most likely an equipment issue or something else that is not related to the assigning of an IP by the DHCP server of the router or you configuring a static IP from the router to the computer's NIC.

If the computer is obtaining an IP form a DHCP server of course there will be no problem. However, if you configure the computer's NIC to use a static IP, then you'll need to change the NIC's IP information such as the Gateway IP being used at work as to the one being used on your router and the DNS IP(s) between your job's network and your ISP's.

However XP has a feature in the O/S that allows you to configure multiple configurations for a single NIC and there are also 3rd party tools that can do it too -- use Google or

formatting link
I don't know it will work for you in a wireless situation.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.