ALG.exe?

What is "Application Layer Gateway Service" used for exactly? If I block it with my firewall my internet connection still works fine.

I look it up on Google and get this. "Description: alg.exe is a part of the Microsoft Windows operating system. It is a core process for Microsoft Windows Internet Connection sharing and Internet connection firewall. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated"

I don't use the XP firewall and I don't use Internet Connection sharing so it's ok to block it, right?

Reply to
Connected
Loading thread data ...

It is part of the Windows TCP/IP connectivity suite. Starting ICF and ICS will require alg, but they may not be the only things. It is possible that other programs you are running depend on it. I believe FTP may require it as well. Try FTPing to somewhere and see if you can. Personally I let alg.exe go, it causes no harm.

Rob

C> What is "Application Layer Gateway Service" used for exactly? If I

Reply to
Rob Y.

I can still FTP with it blocked. Just tested it.

Reply to
Connected

I have it set to manual under services but it always starts up anyway. Guess I'll disable it and see what happens. Thanks.

Reply to
Connected

Connected wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yes, so they say. You can disable it if you need to instead of blocking it in case the Personal FW solution is disabled by malware and ALG becomes a threat along with everything else running on the machine. I myself don't bother with it and it is running and I never have had a problem with ALG on the machines -- that are not running the XP FW. But you can block it ot shut ALG down and it shouldn't hurt anything.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.