Look for cheap/used Layer 3 Switch

I'm helping a small college that has around 10 buildings connected via

100FX Ethernet. All of the buildings collapse to a central hub and is a flat layer 2 network. I'm would like to segment each building with a VLAN/subnet using some used Layer 3 Cisco switches. I'm not sure if any of the 2900xl or 3512xl switches can perform inter-VLAN routing. I will have each building collapse to a layer 2 core and performing the routing on the layer 3 switches for cost purposes (can't afford a 6513!!).

If anyone can recommend an older model Cisco switch or router that can perform routing + 100FX and if affordable enough 1000Base SX I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

-Rick

Reply to
rick
Loading thread data ...

Hi Rick,

You may want to investigate the Cisco Refurbished Product Guide ( goes all the way back to 1999 ):

formatting link
Hope this helps.

Brad Reese BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Worldwide

1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 Toll Free: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Website:
formatting link
Reply to
BradReeseCom

Thanks Brad, I'll check that out. I have setup a 3COM network in the past with Corebuilder 3500s performing the routing collapsed to a Corebuilder 9000 Layer 2 Core. From what I can see the Cisco product comparable to the 3COM Corebuilder 3500 series is a Catalyst 5505?

Reply to
rick

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.