Why ALG.EXE is running while win FW not active ?

Google found this,,,,,

formatting link
If you have a personal firewall, you can disable it. charlie R

Reply to
charlie R
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

since I'm under SP2, ALG.EXE process is running. Nevertheless, Windows FW is de-activated (I'm using Kerio 2.1.5) Under SP1, process was there ONLY if Win FW was active

The corresponding service is "Manual" (and was also when SP1)

In these conditions, WHY the process is starting ? Would it be better to change the service to "Disabled" ?

Reply to
Laurent

Alg.exe? That process it's not from Kazaa?

Regards.

Reply to
Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez

No. It's windows firewall.

Reply to
Laurent

But I had this process running in a XP original, not SP1 or SP2, and without any firewall. And I would say that it appeared when I installed kazaa.

I close it all the time when I launch XP, so I think I'm doing it all wrong.

Regards.

Reply to

"charlie R" wrote in news:cunr7t$rl8$1 @pscinews.psci.net:

That would be if you're not sharing resources with other machines on a LAN would you disable ALG.exe.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I've checked with varios antiviral tools and it's the original file, so it's not spyware. I don't know why it started to appear when I installed Kazaa but now I'm sure it's not a problem, so I won't kill it anymore.

Thank for the information and Regards.

Reply to

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 17:32:39 GMT, Duane Arnold spoketh

You can safely disable the "Application Layer Gateway" service unless you are using the Windows Firewall. Don't kill the service, just stop it in the Services management console then change it's startup to "disabled". This does not affect your connectivity to internet or to the LAN (again, assuming you are _NOT_ using the Windows Firewall).

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link
'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 07:10:30 -0500, Lars M. Hansen

Thanks Lars. I've wanted this solution for nearly a year!

Reply to
Anonymous

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.