slow smtp issue/packet capture

I am trying to diagnose a slow email issue from various office scanners that can perform scan to email from their control panel, used to work fine now their is an intermittent situation where scan a page once, goes fine, rescan it again and it may take minutes or hours. local email server. I have a packet capture, but I just noticed there doesn't seem to be a way to attach it.

I see sections where a previous segment loss message from is sent from scanner. then an awk from email server then some packets of message body (varies from 3 to 7) then duplicate awk packets equal in quanity to the number of message body packet sent. then a single fast retransimission of message body from scanner is sent to email server then more packets without any issues, then then the whole set of messages above again.

Reply to
glnsk8ter
Loading thread data ...

In a modern ethernet network the most likely cause is a duplex missmatch.

Set everything to auto speed/auto duplex and try again.

Check all interfaces for hardware layer errors CRC, align/frame, short.

If you have unmanaged network equipment check the end stations. "netstat -e" works sometimes - If that doesn't identify the issue get managed network equipment or randomly change things until it goes away.

Second most likely is bad cable or NIC.

Reply to
Bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.