Packet capture

We have a packet capture from our network which basically showed MDNS (bonjour), RIPV2, IGMP (v1, v2, and v3), SNMP, RPC, IPv6 (for ICMP protocol), etc traffic on our network.

We would like to replay these packets in order stress test a wireless access point. Can any one think of a tool that would help us?

TIA

Reply to
Kalyan
Loading thread data ...

Kalyan hath wroth:

You can generate packets with a destination port number of anything you want, but unless there is a functional server at the destination on that port, you're not going to get a simulation of the return ACK's or traffic. I vaguely recall there is a program that will take a Ethereal or Fireshark capture log and replay all or parts of it. I'll see if I can find it. You'll drive the machines on your network nuts, but that's all part of the stress test.

Also, dig through:

It's quite a list of server and network load testers. I don't know if any of those listed will do what you want, but methinks it's worth digging through the descriptions.

Also, for simply bashing a network to death, I like to use IPerf:

By playing with the packet sizes, number of streams, and protocol (TCP versus UDP), I can usually beat up on a network.

Note that there are some hardware network imparement simulators. It's one thing to test a network under ideal conditions. It's another to see how well it responds to lost packets, delays, jitter, and other nightmares. See:

The free version is DummyNet at:

Search for "dummynet" with Google for articles and application hints.

As usual, this question has very very very little to do with wireless. You might want to ask in one of the wired network newsgroups.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.