Recommendation required for NIC card

Hello all,

I am working on a real-time application that requires very deterministic data communication between its different modules.

All the communication shall use Ethernet and TCP/IP.

While googling on industrial networking I came to know that there are many vendors manufacturing NICs for industrial communication.

I need to know if I require any specific kind of NIC card in computer to achieve deterministic communication using Ethernet. Card should be able to work on both windows and Linux.

Please tell me if I should go for some industrial network based NIC or the two I currently have in my computer i.e. Realtek/Intel.

Regards

Sara

Reply to
sara_michael77
Loading thread data ...

I'm not sure you _can_ get deterministic communication with Ethernet, much less with TCP/IP, much less under WinDoze or Eunuchs. It's a shared medium, hence you will have collisions, and backoffs (and/or store/forward in switches) will happen.

There are some audio-over-ethernet products that claim some kind of phase-match, but I'm nearly certain they are not TCP/IP-based.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Well, a two station full duplex link should not have any collisions or store/forward switch problems. Does that count?

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Yeah, but the OP wanted WinDoze, and I'm not convinced that real-time programming can be done in WinDoze...

Of course, it probably depends on what the OP meant by deterministic, but that's a rathole.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

For a realtime system that can be _way_ too late.

You understand that "realtime" does not mean "fast", it means "on time and on schedule".

Reply to
J. Clarke

The real time audio transmission (and other real-time communications though Ethernet) systems typically use UDP (standard part of TCP/IP protocol stack) or raw ethernet packets.

With the TCP protocol it is hard to guarantee real-time performance, because of retransmission and automatic network speed adaptation that TCP does...

With UDP or raw ethernet, the packet gets quicly to the network and to the receiver... it either get there or does not get there quicly. No unknown delays on the way... Put time stamp / serial number to the packet, so you will know if packets return at out of order or too late (discard too late packets).

Reply to
Tomi Holger Engdahl

I don't know about windows, but I used to run a group of diskless Suns. Once we had to shut down the server for a few days. The clients nicely wait days for their server to come back.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.