Allied Telesyn SFP in a Cisco switch ?

Hello

Has anyone used an Allied Telesyn SFP in a Cisco switch ? I see that SFP is a standard but I don't have experience with this material yet. The idea was to use an Allied Telesyn AT-SPLX10 in a Cisco 3750.

Allied Telesyn AT-SPLX10

10km, 1000BaseLX, Small Form Pluggable (SFP) Module
formatting link
Thanks in advance
Reply to
Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro
Loading thread data ...

It -probably- will not work.

Although the functionality of SFPs is industry standard, each one has a serial number in it, and if I recall correctly Cisco 3750's check the serial numbers and only allow Cisco equipment.

Possibly the 3750 does not do this check for SFPs: the discussions I have seen were more about GBICs... which are also supposed to be industry standard [but aren't really].

The datasheet at the link you provided indicated that the SFP would work with "Allied Telesyn compatible equipment".

Reply to
Walter Roberson

On 10.03.2006 16:09 Walter Roberson wrote

According to a recent discussion on snipped-for-privacy@puck.nether.net it should be possible to use 3rd party equipment. However read

formatting link
first

Use

service unsupported-transciever no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid

to allow 3rd party SFPs to work.

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

Thank you both. We decided to buy the Cisco SFP (82% more expensive than the Allied Telesyn). Mostly because this SFP will be installed at the other end of the connection in a switch that doesn't belong to us and the people there might get nervous using undocumented commands, etc...

formatting link

The only relevant thing I found in that page was:

"Error Message C4K_CHASSIS-4-UNSUPPORTEDTRANSCEIVER: Unsupported transceiver found in [char]

Explanation The transceiver was identified as an unsupported non-Cisco transceiver."

Did you mean something else ?

On another page I found the description of the undocumented command "service unsupported-transceiver":

formatting link
service unsupported-transceiver config IOS

Enables the use of third-party SFP or GBIC modules on Cisco switches but note the warning below.

Example output:

Switch(config)#service unsupported-transceiver Warning: When Cisco determines that a fault or defect can be traced to the use of third-party transceivers installed by a customer or reseller, then, at Cisco's discretion, Cisco may withhold support under warranty or a Cisco support program. In the course of providing support for a Cisco networking product Cisco may require that the end user install Cisco transceivers if Cisco determines that removing third-party parts will assist Cisco in diagnosing the cause of a support issue.

You mean to use one OR the other command, right ?

I have also seen this comment:

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:hiujBlDyTb0J:puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/2004-January/008021.html+%22no+errdisable+detect+cause+gbic-invalid%22&hl=pt-PT&gl=pt&ct=clnk&cd=3 : Several people have reported success with non Cisco SFPs purchased : from Zycko.

I don't know if this is due to Zycko doing something to the SFPs or simply including in the assembling instructions the command(s) above.

formatting link

Reply to
Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro

formatting link

• Hi friends there is a good news. Recently i was working in industrial project & i found that Allied Telesys switches accepts dlink & netgear sfp modules & works very good. Dlink & netgear sfp modules are 50% cost than Allied Telesys sfp. So it is helpfull *
Reply to
Sourya

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.