Odd question about serial connections

Greetings all,

I ran across a simulator question (in prep for CCNA 604-801), that stumped me and I can't figure out how to fix it. The situation is this:

You have 2 routers connected by a serial connection. One of the routers (call it R1) has an IP address on the s0/0 interface and is connected to a host by the fa0/0 interface. There is no other connection to that router, but that router does have a hostname assigned. The second router (call it R2) is attached by fa0/0 to a switch and then file server. There is a host attached through the console port to this router. The instructions say to set up the link between the 2 routers, and finish the config on R2 so that the host on it can reach the file server.

When I tried this I couldn't telnet to R2 either by name or IP. Given that there was no console connection to that router, does anyone have a suggestion on how to connect to it?

-- Tarvos A+ Network+ Security+ as of December 2005

------------------------------ 'I had to hit him -- he was starting to make sense.'

Reply to
Tarvos{k}
Loading thread data ...

Connect to R2 by clicking on the console attached host. This should give you a console connection. If you can't, your simulator is buggy.

If you don=B4t have enough information about the config of R1, try using CDP commands on R2.

Reply to
yamahasw40

Connect to R2 by clicking on the console attached host. This should give you a console connection. If you can't, your simulator is buggy.

If you don=B4t have enough information about the config of R1, try using CDP commands on R2.

Reply to
yamahasw40

Yes, I've seen something similar. "show cdp neighbors" is the one to point you in the right direction.

PM

Reply to
PM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.