How to make a cable entrance in the data closet?

I hope this is not a (too) stupid question. I am running some wires in my 2-story house and setting up a "data closet" in a closet :-) The closet is on the second floor, so there will be a a whole bunch of cables coming down from the attic inside the wall and then to the patch panels etc.

But how do I make a clean entrance for the cables from the wall to the closet space? Do I just make a big hole in the wall and have the cables go through it? It's a standard drywall. Are there any products made for this purpose? Maybe a kind of grommet or something? I would also like to be able to add more cables later.

Thanks for any ideas,

Bolek

Reply to
Boleslaw Ciesielski
Loading thread data ...

If the cabling is just for data networking (i.e. no voice, video, etc), I would stick with the multiport faceplate idea. You can get double-gang faceplates that will accommodate 12 inserts. If that's not enough, you can add more later.

If you're considering a Leviton structured media cabinet (or similar), you can also mount them "in" the wall, so that the front is flush with the wall. Here's a link to the page for the 14" cabinet.

formatting link

Reply to
Michael Quinlan

Thanks to both of you (Bob and Robert). Have one question though.

I am not sure how this looks like and how to find it. Can you point me to a picture of something like that? Perhaps at

formatting link
?

Thanks,

Bolek

Reply to
Boleslaw Ciesielski

I would run several conduits down thru the wall to a large junction box mounted flush with the wall. you can then use a cover with one or more grommeted cutouts along the bottom edge to bring the cables out of the front of the box. The conduits should have plastic bushings at both ends to protect the cable.

I don't know how many cables you are going to pull, but I would start with at least 3 2" conduits and a 10"x10"x4" pull box. Leave at least one conduit empty (except for a pull string) for future expansion.

Reply to
Bob Vaughan

I wouldn't use a patchpanel, or rather, I'd make a patchpanel from keystone jacks in 6up wallplates, trimmed into a double or triple gang electrical box with the back/side cut out. Very neat finish.

If you really want the patchpanel (often mounted vertical), you can make a neat wall penetration with a clamp-on LV Caddy box and an empty Decora wallplate.

The standard for wiring new homes is to use a Leviton or other lockable patch-box surface mounted directly over a hole in the drywall. I think Home Depot carries these.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Boleslaw Ciesielski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

formatting link

Reply to
Lucas Tam

If you do not want to terminate them in the wall or put up a box like the Leviton over the hole (after the fact it can be tough to "do it right") you can get one of those orange or blue DATA hold openings and then cover that with a Leviton quick port single or double gang cover where you've cut out the opening larger.

I've also used 2 slotted wire ducts side by side to hold excess cable if you aren't ready to terminate it close.

Reply to
David Ross

Ya thatll work. If you are buying boxes of cat 5e cable. I use the plastic cable guides for stuff like that. Take it off the box and glue into sheetrock. Its free and looks good.

Reply to
Perkowski

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.