DSL router cabling question

Dear all:

I did a google group search before I post this thread but please bear with me if this had been posted and answered before. I recently wired our house with regular "Category 5e" cable to connect two rooms so that two computers (in different rooms) could share the DSL Internet connection. Here are my questions:

1. I assume that most patch cable that you could buy from Radio Shack should be "straight-through" type of cable, am I correct?? In this case to connect the PC to the DSL router, should I use "straight-through" or "cross-over" cable??

1. I bought the network plug and the cramping tool (plier) from Radio Shack, and made a the plugs based on "straight-through" cable (following instruction here:
    formatting link
    However, after I connect the cable to PC and router, it did not work. If I replace the cable to a shorter (already-made) cable, then the PC would get Internet connect right away. Based on what I see for the working cable, it seems that it is a "straight-through" cable, but I'm not sure, should I actually make the plugs as a "cross-over" type of cable in my case??

2. If I do need a cross-over type of cable, as the instruction was not clear on the Web site that I mentioned above, how should I really make the plugs (the color combination/order for both ends)??

1. If everything that I did was correct (straight-through cable), could this problem related to the category 5e?? I don't know too much about the 5e standard, but thought that they are downward compatible with category 5... My DSL router is a Buffalo AirStation G54, does this router support 5e cables??

Many thanks!

Reply to
hotister
Loading thread data ...

In regards to making a cross-over cable, the orange and green pairs are reversed. One side has the orange pair split (T568B standard) and the other side has the green pair split (T568A standard).

formatting link
shows the difference between the two standards. Hope this helps with making the cross-over.

Reply to
Mark J

Thanks! That was really helpful.

By the way, I just read some FAQ and it mentioned that category-5 cable does not like excess cable coiled up on the floor, is this true? Could this the problem?? I guess I should be using straight-through cable in my configuration, correct?? Thanks!

Reply to
hotister

Nah, I would check out your crimp. Make sure the colors are correct.

Redo your crimps....

BTW, dont buy cable from Radio Schack its a ripoff....Home Depot says it to the footage you need....

Reply to
Perkowski

Bad crimps are usually 90% of the problems with cable drops. I usually have to redo some that have been damaged or did not make good contact with the pins. We use Cat5e cable from General Cable, which Home Depot sells either by the

Reply to
Mark J

Yes

Depends on the router. Logic would make you think you'd need a cross-over cable, because you are going from network end-station to network end-station. I've seen DSL routers that are like this, and include a cross-over cable in the box. I've also seen DSL routers that assume you won't plug it into a switch, and have the cross done on the single port, so that you need a straight to go from PC to router. Lastly, there are those that have a switch built in, which logicly you need a straight to go from the PC into its builtin switch.

Cat5e is just tighter specs over cat5. Unless you are doing gigabit at far reaches of what it can handle, they are functionally equivilent.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.