10BaseT Question

Hi All,

Is there any physical way I can tell the difference between a 10 BaseT cable and a CAT5 cable? Maybe by the cable colors??

Thanks,

Arthur

Reply to
amerar
Loading thread data ...

Every CATx cable I've ever seen had the type clearly labeled on the jacket. I'm sure it's a requirement for compliance.

There *might* have been some CAT3 made before the requirement was nailed down so if it dowsn't say CAT5 it *might* be CAT3 abd you could give it a try if the distances are short, but LOL.

Reply to
Al Dykes

By reading the specification printed along the cable. If it doesn't say it's a cat 5 cable, it isn't. You could put it on a pentascanner or whatever and see if it passes cat 5 tests.

--Dale

Reply to
Dale Farmer

Look at the number of twists per inch of a pair. Depending on the pairs, CAT3 may have like one or two twists per inch, but CAT5 has several. Its pretty easy to tell them apart, just by feel even.

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy

The twist between CAT-3 and CAT-5E is hardly noticeable. CAT-3 may be color coded with solid colors yellow-black,red-green,blue-white while CAT-5 most likely has white paired with another color, for each pair.

Reply to
hog107ab

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.