Speed Test Results Analysis

When I test two different computers connected to the same cable modem through the same router, I get significant variances between the two conputers:

Desktop Computer: Avg Down Speed = 2900 kb/s, Avg Up Speed = 689 kb/s Laptop Computer: Avg Down Speed = 11129 kb/s, Avg Up Speed = 1976 kb/s

Both Computers run Win XP SP2... the laptop is newer, but how much affect should processor speed really have on these speed tests?

By the way, I used both

formatting link
and
formatting link
results were sonsistent between the two speedtest services.

Reply to
ChrisB
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
and results were sonsistent between the two speedtest services.

More than anything else, I think you've highlighted one of the weaknesses of so-called online speed tests. You'd get a much more accurate result with a local speed measuring utility, whether it's something running on each PC or even something running on your router.

I have used, and recommend, either DUMeter or Bandwidth Monitor, both of which I believe are shareware, although similar freeware can also be found. I'm currently using a 3rd party (Tomato) firmware in my Linksys router, which provides pretty speed graphs in real time.

You didn't specify who your Internet provider is, or anything else about your equipment, so it's hard to tell if even one set of your results is valid, but it's likely that at least one set of results isn't. :)

Reply to
Bill M.

formatting link
>and results were sonsistent between the two speedtest services.

You certainly have to run the tests more than once and average them (or take the highest if you like), but he needs to specify how the computers are connected (wireless/wired) and what size CPUs he has. Also make sure the PCs are idle when you test.

Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on a speed monitor though - what does it actually gain for you ?

Reply to
$Bill

I know for a fact that some firewalls will cause a HUGE slowdown.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

It's one of the few reliable ways of checking whether your connection is working as well as it should. (Online speed tests make a valiant effort, but aren't trustworthy in the end.) I agree, that won't be a good reason for most people and they'll just plug along as long as they can do what they want to do, but for me it's important.

Reply to
Bill M.

I do have NetPerSec running in my tray which gives a rough idea (and free).

I just ran a BroadbandReports test and it's 5.40Mb/310Kb followed by a

5.54/289 and 5.613/453. Netpersec shows send topping at 6Mb and recv around 7-800Kb and throttling back a bit to keep it under - modem is set to max at 6.144Mb/512Kb.

That's enough of a test for my purposes.

Reply to
$Bill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.