Should I run Cat5 to WAP or use a Powerline adapter?

I have a Linksys with Speedboater (WRT54GS) router upstairs in my home. The wireless signal is not strong enough in parts of the house downstairs so I am using a WRE54G Linksys Range Extender. It works okay but signal is weak.

I do not transfer a lot of files but just want it for Internet, Email.

I may want an occasional file transfer (30 minute show using Tivo Desktop) from Tivo box downstairs to desktop upstairs.

___

1. I can get someone to run Cat5 for me from upstairs to downstairs and perhaps add a WAP Router from some manufacturer and thus get a stronger signal. Cable Cost and labor: 0

or

1. I could buy some NetGear Powerline adapters and then attach a WAP to the one downstairs. NetGear Powerline Cost: I guess about 0 ____________

******Thoughts, comments as it relates to speed, cost, reliability.

Also any recommendation on hardware WAP.

(I guess I could use 3rd party WRT software for my router and boost the signal. I did at one time try SVEASOFT and bricked the router).

Thanks, Patty

Reply to
pattyjamas
Loading thread data ...

I've never used wireless (so far), what about picking up a Pre-N router ? You'd have to check, but I think they have a much wider range than the G routers (try Netgear/Linksys sites for specs). They cost more, but the total may be less than your other solutions and they're faster.

Someone with some experience should be able to help more.

Reply to
$Bill

Hmmm. I know the antenna(s) on those routers attaches in the back. But couldn't one add some cable and place the antenna (or a better one) in a better spot?

Reply to
BR

I'd avoid the pre-N stuff unless it's absolutely necessary. Pre-N isn't N. And there's no money-back guarantee that the firmware will be able to be updated to N when it comes out. You may be stuck with pre-N equipment that will only talk to pre-N equipment of the same brand, or else it'll fall-back to G.

In most marginal situations, I've seen Netgear's RangeMax equipment work better than Linksys's SpeedBoost. The gap is less if you compare RangeMax to Linksys's SRX. But again we're talking about non-standard equipment. You need all matching equipment, or it just falls back to plain-old G.

So if you're not willing to spend the money update both the router and the NIC's, or if you can't wait until the N standard equipment becomes available next year, playing around with the placement of the equipment may be the best bet. Keep the router as far away as practical from other electric equipment that might not be shielded very well. Keep it away from any CRT-style monitors. Keep it away from the cablemodem. Keep it away from cordless phones also working in the 2.4 range. Keep it away from your microwave oven. A 7' Ethernet cable to move it to the other end of the desk may be a better investment than a new router and new NIC's.

Reply to
Warren

Thanks all. I have high gain antennas on the Linksys router and the pre-n stuff has had some bad reviews with the new models being weaker than the current ones.

Any> $Bill wrote:

Reply to
pattyjamas

[clipped]

I had exactly the same scenario in my home! I tried all the brand name

802.11B, and G devices, with mixed, and inconsistent results. Then I tried two different name brand power-line network link devices. These would work very well at times, and be totally unreliable at other times. Possibly due to electrical noise on the power lines, but not from any devices in my home, after the process of elimination.

The solution to all my problems (other than hardwiring CAT5), was Netgear's WGM124 Pre-N WiFi Router! Not only did it solve the connectivity, but the link is always fast! It's also the first router that I was able to implement WPA-PSK security on as well!

Bill Crocker

Reply to
Bill Crocker

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.