Access point or powerline range extender to cover an higher range ???

Hi, I have a mimo wireless router , the netgear DG834PN , I've to cover several apartments and this in no more sufficient for this, so now I'm thinking to expand the network but I don't know how, my ideas :

1) to buy a powerline range extender
formatting link
2) to buy a repeater, but I've no idea of which one

3) to buy an access point and configure it like a repeater

can you help me to find the right solution ??

Thanks

Antonio

formatting link

Reply to
etantonio
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

Consider these instead (same company, different page/link)...

At

formatting link
give details on their powerline wireless access point....

Basically, for about $130, for two units, one plugs into the modem or router, the other plugs into almost any electric outlet (usually on the same transformer, very rare to ever have multiple drops for one home/apartment), and transmits the signal over the powrline at 54 Mbps, to the second unit which is it's own access point.. Can be used directly off the cable/dsl modem, or in my case, I have it plugged into my linksys wireless router instead (giving me two networks)..

Beauty of it is, no cables, no wiring, just plug the stuff in, and when you move unplug it and take it with you.. However there is a bad part, it costs a bit more than just a wireless router (probably $50-$60 more)... Don't know what your economic circumstances are, but it was the best extra few bucks I ever spent.. During the nice months of the year, I just plug it in to one of the exterior ac sockets and use my PDA and laptops in the back yard.

HOWEVER, I have no idea if the power in your area is the same as the US (they have seperate pages for non us countries), so you maye have to get there after you select a country...

Reply to
Peter Pan

Can you run some CAT5 around the complex? If so, I would probably run a few cables to key points and install a few cheap APs.

Yes, that would achieve the same thing. Restricted bandwidth tho (even the fastest Powerline kit is rated at 85Mb and throughput seems realistically to be significantly lower).

Nor me. Bear in mind that each repeater halves the bandwidth.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

On 20 Jan 2007 06:37:54 -0800, "etantonio" wrote in :

Good idea, but may not work unless the apartments are on the same power. Try before you buy.

In general, stick with the same brand.

Same as (2).

4) Try high-gain directional antennas or reflectors in the apartments.

5) Consider coax networking if all apartments share the same coax (TV cable) system.

6) Consider pulling CAT5 Ethernet cable to the apartments.
Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.