What's up with the magical 10 day window?

My bet is that some time within the first 10 days of your service being active, your connection gets profiled (possibly by a human, although more likely by an automated system) which determines whether or not you're getting ideal speeds.

The fastest link speed between the modem and the DSLAM may not always result in the fastest overall connection speed, especially in less then ideal line conditions. There is little point in communicating at 900Kb with 50% packet loss vs 850Kb at 1% packet loss.

Reply to
DevilsPGD
Loading thread data ...

Hi all,

I just got my DSL modem today; However, service won't be active until the 13th. My modem came with a nifty little sticker that really started me shaking my head in confusion.

The exact text of this little gem of wisdom goes as follows:

"ATTENTION To maximize connection speed, leave this modem on for 10 days after DSL installation is complete. Please Note: You can use your DSL service during this time. It is not necessary to leave your computer on, only the modem."

Huh?

Why?

What does 10 days have to do with anything. What happens if the power flickers, I trip over the cord, etc? What happens after the first 10 days? At that point, then it apparently doesn't matter and I can flip my modem off and on whenever?

If anyone understands the technicalities of this, I'm dieing for an explanation that makes sense.

TIA,

--Al

Reply to
Al Puzzuoli

One explanation that I've heard is that during the first 10 days some DSL providers do some background testing and "tweaking" of the connection performance between your DSL modem and the DSLAM. This should allow the best performance over your line.

As I recall, the DSLAM and DSL modem are adapting themselves to the unique characteristics of your phone line. By leaving the modem on, this enables this process to run to completion. I suspect that an occasional interruption wouldn't really make any difference just so long as the modem is on almost all of that time.

Seemed to make sense to me.....

John

Reply to
John P. Dearing

Fun sig.

LB

Reply to
LB

Welcome to SBC Internet Services...

The "Ramp Up" period has been explained a few different ways.

One way that almost makes sense is this: The speed starts at some low, safe speed. It is then increased each night by a certain increment. When errors start to appear, the speed is then decremented, establishing the 'best' speed for your particular line.

The line testing takes place in the wee hours of the morn and rather than tell customers their modem must be on during the period of 10pm to 8am (for example) it is much easier (and more likely to produce compliance) to leave the modem on all the time.

P.S., most people leave their modem on all the time regardless of whether 10 days have passed or not.

Reply to
Kay Archer

Yes,

It's sort of like one of those psychological mind games. I currently have Comcast and don't even remember the last time I turned off or disconnected my modem. I would have never even contemplated turning off my DSL modem either, at least not until I saw this sticker. Now, because I'm told that turning it off is a no no, I'm coming up with all these reasons why I might need to do so...:) oh well.

Reply to
Al Puzzuoli

Sounds like the warning label found on an iron recently. "Do not iron clothes while wearing"

LB

Reply to
LB

Note that you do NOT necessarily need to have your PC on or connected. Just leave the DSL modem on the first 10 days so they can determine optimum speed if your line is not good enough for full speed.

Reply to
David Efflandt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.