Problem with splitting the line for DSL (followup)

I asked the question with some success. Here is what I need to do. I need to split the telco signal at my box(indoor) so that one line goes to the DSL modem and other to the main telco box(UStec home networking).

Unfortunately the outside box is inaccessible and I can't do much there. The issue is the telephone line is Cat5 UTP cable and it terminates as a RJ45 jack on the indoor box. The indoor box has a telco in and the internal circuity(possibly amplifies the signal) and there are 6 telephone outlets to different rooms. Now this is my problem. How is telco indoor terminating on a RJ45 jack(8 PIN). I thought telephone jacks were RJ11($ PIN). What is the difference between a Rj45 used with telephone and one for data(both seem to have the same colouring T568A). I checked the outside box and it seemed to connect all 8 wires of the Cat5 to respective jumpers.

I tried to go to Radio shack and tried to find a way to split the signal on the RJ45 telco jack one to the DSL modem and other to the telco in. Unfortunately I was able to find only RJ11 modules and one other combination said the polarity was reversed on the telco box.

This is what I thought I could do. Take this RJ45 telco line and split in into two female RJ45 jacks. Then connect one to the DSL modem and other to the DSL filter and from the filter to the telco in. Somehow I don't seem to get the adapter for this(possibly because I am getting this all wrong).

Can someone explain what I can do without needing to strip the cable. Thanks in advance

Reply to
bvkiran
Loading thread data ...

Huh? Nope. No amps. What circuitry do you mean? Not seen such in resi in 30 years of playing Dr. POTS.

Your choice is buying a splitter with screw terminals, or using one that has RJ-11's and installing jacks [the el-cheapo route].

Yes, you'll need to disconnect things and reconnect them, but in the words of Click&Clacl; it's not Rocket Science.

Reply to
David Lesher

My home came preinstalled with a USTec home networking box and this is the info a SBC guy gave when he came over to look at the problem on static on the lines. Ok if that is my only option, which wires(of the 8 colors) do i connect in the splitter. What kind of splitter do I need to buy? Thanks

Reply to
bvkiran

Ok after a little more research I found this. My home has a UStec techLansystem.

formatting link
says it can take in 4 different phone lines(distinct phone numbers) on one Cat5 cable(8 wires) and the wiring is T568A. I don't know how T568A is used with telephone wiring. So I really want to do is to pass the 4 signals through as RJ45 and tap into one of them serving DSL. Ok currently I have only one telephone no. and the DSL on it. Don't know in the future.

Reply to
bvkiran

It seems to me that all you need to do is identify the one pair which has the dialtone. Your DSL service is associated with that phone number. Even if you add other numbers, the DSL service remains associated with that same number. Looking at the diagram on the right of the document that you posted, pair 1, on pins 4/5, probably has your dialtone.

On the left side is a reference to the line from the NID. I would try and put a POTS splitter on that line. I am not sure about how I would handle the mechanics of the connection, though, because I don't see a sufficiently detailed diagram of the connection between the NID and the tecLAN400i; other than being sure that you install the splitter on the pair with the dialtone.

Reply to
NormanM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.