Long term heavy downloading?

I'm a heavy downloader and I seem to wear out my line every 6 months. Then Qwest has to give me a new line, everything is fine for another six months, and then it happens all over again because I wore it out.

Is this scenario plausible?

Reply to
Brian Kraft
Loading thread data ...

You're being fed a line of BS. There's something else happening that's causing your connection to be faulty. Data running through a line does not inherently shorten its lifespan, no matter whether you're talking DSL, cable or whatever.

Reply to
Cyrus Afzali

no. it's not.

you cannot "wear out" the line.

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz

Not from downloading. High winds? Kids throwing gym shoes on the drop? Or are you just 19 days too late?

Reply to
NormanM

Or Qwest could fix their stinking cable!

Reply to
James T. White

The Qwest tech just told me that heavy downloading doesn't make a difference, but that he thinks there's water in the cable and so electrolysis there can be a problem, even with the dial tone lines.

So I got a different pair that has better readings and hope this one lasts longer than 6 months. I'm down to my last resorts which are:

The tech would disconnect other customer's lines and test them one at a time to search for one of the best, least waterlogged lines in the cable. Or I could drop down to a slower speed from the 1.5 mbit/s.

Reply to
Brian Kraft

This sounds tehcnically impossible. Some rack components might overheat, but copper wires work _better_ with current (unless there's some really old & screwy cotton or rubber insulation that breaks down).

You might be the victim of an unadvertised "hog slaughtering" progam. Shutoff heavy ports, restore when user complains. Tech staff might not even know.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Or worse yet, PAPER insulation that is so oxidized just about anything turns it to dust. Lot of the older (older as in over 1 century old) pairs in this city are like that.

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.