NEWS: Heavy mobile use 'damages sperm' [not a joke]

Heavy use of mobile phones may damage men's fertility, a study has suggested.

Researchers found those men who used a phone for four hours or more a day had fewer sperm and those they had moved less well and were of poorer quality.

The Ohio study involving 364 men was presented to the American Society for Reproductive Medicine in New Orleans.

But a UK expert said it was unlikely the phones were to blame, as they were in use and not near the testes, and it may be being sedentary was the cause.

[MORE]
Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

Don't carry your phone in your jock strap!

Reply to
©®©

The point was that the low/bad sperm count didn't correlate to _carrying_ a phone. It correlated to _talking_ on a phone. The more time spent _talking_ on a phone the worse the sperm count.

That means that as the time the phone was carried in the pocket dropped, sperm count did as well. The conclusion is therefore _Do_ carry your phone in your jock strap. And don't take it out to talk on it.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Don't talk on the phone in your jock strap!

Reply to
clifto

Your typical cellphone does not put out enough rf energy to be a health risk. Also the frequencies used at the power levels of the typical cellphone make them very harmless to human health. A few years back, some nut started saying that cell phone use would cause brain damage as well because of holding the cell phone by the ear.

Reply to
Dana

With a bluetooth headset you could if you wanted to...

Reply to
Grant Edwards

The way I read this was that the sort of person who spends 4h+ on his phone each day is the sort of person who never meets women anyway, and to whom Nature has deliberately given damaged sperm so they can be removed from the gene pool....

Maybe phones are the new Flash Car....

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

For some people, talking out of their arse is something they can't avoid.

Reply to
Soruk

I suppose I could conduct a study that says the crow of a rooster CAUSES the sun to rise. It is a very repeatable experiment and the correlation is very strong.

David

Reply to
David

Is the the infamous "taliking out of your ass" syndrone?

Reply to
©®©

I'll try to keep my balls off the phone. :0)

Reply to
Sarge

Do not use your phone as a jock strap!

Reply to
©®©

It's all good as long as it is set to vibrate ;)

Reply to
lobo

John Navas hath wroth:

Oh-oh. My phone is heavier than most.

Sheesh. Welcome to junk science. Reading the article, what apparently was done was interview 364 men in India and ask them how many hours per day they used their cell phone. Of course, everyone lied, but that's acceptable if everyone lies equally with the same bias. The survey was also preformed at fertility clinics in India which is a rather limited sample of the general population. They could easily have asked what was their favorite color, and conjured a similar worthless correlation.

Ohio? New Orleans? From the article, I read: The team from the Cleveland Clinic Foundation in Ohio tested the sperm of 364 men who were being treated at fertility clinics in Mumbai, India, with their partners. The study may have been funded and run from Ohio, but the sample came from Mumbai, India.

Sure? What type of person yacks on the phone for 4+ hours per day? Probably an unemployed loafer with a sedentary lifestyle and independent means. Busy and active people don't have time to talk that long. Presumably, they also have an unlimited rate plan and a lifetime supply of batteries implying that they have more money to burn than the light users. Of course, since they have an unlimited plan, they tend to yack more. Since they're all at a fertility clinic, I presume they're all 20-30 years old.

I think a more appropriate headline would be: "Young, affluent and unemployed users, with damaged sperm, tend to talk more". Or perhaps: "Cell phones used for birth control".

Of course the traditional tag line includes "more research is necessary" which is the standard hint that a research grant is being solicited.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 10:25:40 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

Or a phone sex operator. :)

You must not be a parent -- my daughter easily exceeds that, as do most of her friends.

MetroPCS.

Rechargeable.

Reply to
John Navas

The study for on 364 *MEN* not women. If they were all phone sex operators, then methinks India has a big problem.

Again, your daughter doesn't qualify. These are men, not women. I'm assuming that men don't yack all day long on a cell phone.

Incidentally, you're correct. I don't have any children (that I know about).

In India? Googling...

formatting link
How would you like lifetime unlimited incoming calls for a one-time fee of $21.75. Or how about $30 for a handset and unlimited talk time for 2 years. That's the kind of deal cell phone users get in India, a booming market that outpaced China last month, adding 5.9 million new customers just last month. Well, maybe it is possible to have an unlimited plan in India and not be rich.

I was thinking of one of the "battery booster" plug in contraptions. Yeah, it's possible to do a marathon cellular yack session with the appropriate plan and the appropriate technology.

Are you sure this was not a joke?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

probably fewer brain cells too

Reply to
Joe

How about an Indian employee of the outsourced US call center?

Reply to
Eugene F.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.