How to use Efficient 5861 with VLAN?

I need to connect 2 networks on a Planet 1602 switch to a BT Efficient

The Planet supports VLANs. Is there a both networks can be connected to the internet through the router without compromising security?

I am a complete newbie in this area.

Reply to
mydejamail
Loading thread data ...

I am new to with VLANs. It is having to share the same physical switch that has made me take interest, but my understanding is that it is the same as having separate physical networks.

According to the switch documentation, it supports port based VLAN and

802.1q VLANs.

What I need to do is to make sure that sharing the same DSL router will not allow packets from one networks to be visible on those from the other.

I have never really delved into using the both ethernet interfaces and subnets on the 5861.

When you say 'If you need true 802.1q tagging, that isnt going to happen' does that mean that the physical connection to the Ethernet

5861 will allow that to happen, regardless of both VLAN separation and the subnetting offered by the 5861?
Reply to
mydejamail

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote on 5/23/2005 9:23 AM:

The VLAN term has been butchered recently. Are you talking about true VLAN tagging or are you just talking about having multiple LAN segments behind teh 5861?

If you are talking about simply adding another LAN segment, you can do that via the CLI on the 5861 "eth add ..." You can then set up firewall rules for each subnet.

If you need true 802.1q tagging, that isnt going to happen.

Good luck,

Jim

Reply to
Jim

You absolutely cannot do this with a 5861. The ethernet ports provided by the

5861 are not switched. Everything that comes in or out any one of the ports will be visible at every other port. That's not to say that it would be easy to decipher the contents of the data if it is encrypted, but it is not what you are asking for.
Reply to
George Pontis

Greetings,

802.1q is a TRUNK feature, where multiple VLANS can pass down one physical connection but can be LOGICALLY separated by a device at the other end that also does 802.1q Trunking. You need 802.1q capability at BOTH ends of the TRUNK. I don't know your particular Router at all, but from comments seen here it looks like it does not support TRUNK operations on its Ethernet interface, which means that while your Switch can handle multiple VLANS and an 802.1q TRUNK, the other end of that connection (the 5861) cannot handle an 802.1q TRUNK.

Now I don't KNOW your Router at all, but if it has TWO Ethernet interfaces that can be used as "inside" interfaces, then you may be able to connect each Ethernet interface to different VLANS on your switch and then configure the Router to prevent cross port traffic. This should give you what you are looking for on the "inside", however depending on the configuration it may be possible to get cross network traffic via the outside.

There are a number of ways this can be done, but the simplest would be to put in place an environment that can support 802.1q to your switch AND the ability to prevent cross VLAN traffic (at Layer 3).

I am picking that he means that the 5861 does not support Trunking.

Good luck..................pk.

Reply to
Peter

George Pontis wrote on 5/24/2005 11:08 AM:

You can however have different subnets on the 5861 and then set up filter rules between those subnets.

However, considering you are somewhat new at this, I dont think that is the best route. No pun intended.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.