DSL with different NICs, will it have different results?

Hi, currently I am using a D-Link DFE-530TX PCI Fast Ethernet card with my SBC/Yahoo DSL broadband connection. I wonder if I change to another better PCI Ethernet card (say, maybe a 3COM or a Intel Ethernet card...something like that), will I actually get slightly better performance for downloading and uploading, and if so, how much performance gain would I get?? Many thanks! :)

Reply to
hotister
Loading thread data ...

Most unlikely, unless your current NIC is ->really strange.

You didn't say what sort of DSL circuit you're buying, but a 6Mb/sec DSL circuit is still slower than the slowest NIC you're likely to run across.

On the other hand, if your router (and switch) and all the other machines on your internal network have, for example, 100Mb/s interfaces instead of

10Mb/s, you'll see faster machine-to-machine transfers.
Reply to
Bert Hyman

Greetings,

Considering that a Fast Ethernet card operates at 100Mb, and DSL is usually considerably slower than that, in theory you should not see the slightest difference by changing NIC's... HOWEVER, it is possible that you may have a (duplex) misconfiguration (or mismatch) issue in the network somewhere and that may account for possible poor performance. Estimating a performance gain with no base values to work from would be very much guess work.

Cheers...............pk.

Reply to
Peter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.