DSL Speeds (Desktop vs Laptop)

Are these "K" measurements kilobits per second? Kilobytes per second? Or, most likely, one of each?

DS

Reply to
David Schwartz
Loading thread data ...

Hello

My Verizon DSL download speeds on my DESKTOP is poor, peaking at only 30K max! However, on the SAME DSL router, via a wireless connection on my LAPTOP, the LAPTOP has a minimum of 200K.

I'm no genius, but, what setting(s) on the desktop do I need to adjust to download at the 200K rate??

Thanks.....Regards, John

Reply to
SKCS, USN

Hi SKCS,

You might try this url for tweaking your desktop;

formatting link
You may need the latest Java aplet as whell as another downloadable program that actually does the adjusting. Follow the instructions and checkout the FAQ's.

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Casher

Hi David,

Yes measurements are usually made in K meaning 1000 bits or bytes. When talking serial communication usually in bits. I use the following test for DSL speed;

formatting link
. With the advertised speed of 1500 k I get 1280 k down and 380 k up. Run the test and report your speeds for both. When you use the tweak test you should use the advertised speed usually 1.5-6.0 m for mega or 1500-6000 k. The tweak test wants it in k.

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Casher

Patrick.....OK, I'm updating Java now.

Also, ran the tests/tweeks prior to my posting, and it reported that my speeds up/down were 200K+. And, I did Dr TCP and adjusted my MSU to

1480....still slow downloads on just desktop (laptop next to me is blazing).

John

Reply to
SKCS, USN

Hi John

I use the following test for DSL speed;

formatting link
. With the advertised speed of 1500 k I get 1280 k down and 380 k up. Run the test and report your speeds for both. When you use the tweak test you should use the advertised speed usually 1.5-6.0 m for mega or 1500-6000 k. The tweak test wants it in k. What version of windows are you running on the desktop? How is the desktop connected is it through an ethernet port or using a wireless adaptor? What is the processor and memory size of the desktop? I had a similar problem when I upgraded from ME to XP Home and had to do a complete install. Are you current as far as anti-spyware and anti-virus programs?

There's a forum for Verizon where you can get more help;

formatting link
Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Casher

Patrick

OK, here you go:

Download Speed: 183 kbps (22.9 KB/sec transfer rate) Upload Speed: 366 kbps (45.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

For comparison---on the laptop next to me the numbers are: Download Speed: 4991 kbps (623.9 KB/sec transfer rate) Upload Speed: 1211 kbps (151.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

XP

ethernet cable. The laptop next to me (running at 200K+ d/l) is using wireless.

P4, 512MB

Hi John

Reply to
SKCS, USN

Also Patrick---swapped the ethernet cables....unplugged everything and reset, and the speeds remain unchanged on the desktop.

John

Reply to
SKCS, USN

OK....Patrick-----I shut down my router and turned it back on, and re-ran the speed test with the following results:

Download Speed: 1479 kbps (184.9 KB/sec transfer rate) Upload Speed: 366 kbps (45.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

The upload speed remain unchanged-----and still way off from the laptop upload speed. BUT, as you can see, the d/l speed increased (but still not as fast as the laptop).

Sorry for the 3 seperate emails.....John

Reply to
SKCS, USN

Hi John,

According to your laptop speeds, looks like you have 6000k or 6.0m service, is that right? Surely I'm puzzled. give the Verizon Forum a try at;

formatting link
see if they can offer any advice. Oh, did you try another ethernet port on the router and maybe try another ethernet card in the desktop if you have one. Well that's about all I can think of.

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Casher

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 22:29:00 GMT, "Patrick Casher" wrote Re Re: DSL Speeds (Desktop vs Laptop):

Nice test site. Thanks.

Reply to
Vic Dura

[snip]

It may also be worth checking if the link speed on the adapter in the desktop system is set to full duplex at the highest speed or something lower. A comparison with the adapter in the laptop may turn up the problem. I've found that the auto detect or auto negotiate setting results in a less than optimal choice and selecting full duplex manually is required.

mole

Reply to
mole

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 09:42:50 GMT, "Patrick Casher" wrote Re Re: DSL Speeds (Desktop vs Laptop):

Thanks. That's a nice all-round reference site.

Reply to
Vic Dura

John,

If your advertised speed is 6000k you would use that for the tweak test data. Also is your modem separate from the router? I can connect my modem directly to my desktop eliminating the router. Maybe you could try the same.

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Casher

Hi Vic,

Second speed test under Net Tools (upper right corner) on the RefDesk site:

formatting link
Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Casher

Good thinking mole,

Start Control Panel Network and Internet Connections Network Connections (select connection) Network Tasks Change settings of this connection General Connect Using - Configure Advanced - Property Link Speed/Duplex Mode - Value

100Mbps/Full Duplex

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Casher

Hi John,

May I also suggest SpywareBlaster.

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Casher

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.