802.1x authentication fails after Windows XP reboot

I have XP SP3 installed on a workstation, configured to use 802.1x authentication with a Cisco 3750 switch and a Microsoft NAP server providing RADIUS services.

When I boot up the workstation, 802.1x authentication fails. If I unplug the network cable from the workstation, then plug it back in, the workstation immedately authenticates and grabs and IP address from DHCP.

If I reboot, authentication fails again until I unplug and replug the cable. I can get the same result if I do a "shut/no shut" on the Cisco switch's port.

Obviously, there's nothing actually wrong with 802.1x authentication, or RADIUS or the switch. It's only when the workstation first boots up; I'm guessing that while it's booting up, some service(s) are still coming up and preventing authentication from working, but once the workstation has finished booting, it is stuck in the switch's "failed authentication" vlan, and the only way to restart the authentication process is to break the network connection.

Since I'm going to deploy 802.1x to a couple of thousand workstations, unplugging cables or reseting switch ports isn't a practical solution.

Does anyone know how to resolve this problem? Thanks.

Reply to
ttripp
Loading thread data ...

I wonder if this discussion is relevant to your problem -

formatting link
Also in XP SP3 wired part of 802.1x supplicant is a separate service and no longer part of wireless zero config. It's in manual start mode by default. Have you changed it to auto?

Regards, Andrey.

Reply to
Andrey Tarasov

That's interesting. I tried a little more testing and if I just let the workstation sit, it will authenticate itself after about 25 minutes, which is about the same time as mentioned in the link you provided.

Reply to
ttripp

I tested using the hotfix mentioned in the link you provided, and it corrected the problem. Another wonderful Microsoft "feature". Now I've got to figure out how to get this hotfix out to all the workstations in my company.

Reply to
ttripp

Do you have Active Directory?

Reply to
Igor Mamuzic aka Pseto

Does anyone know if this affects Windows Server 2000 or 2003? The link only mentions XP, Vista and Server 2008, but I have other OSes to worry about.

Reply to
ttripp

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.