Configuring a VPN client for a dlink dfl800 firewall

Hi, I'm kinda new to this firewall so I'm feeling lost. Is there any sort of tutorial or guide to configure a D-link VPN client to have access to a dlink dfl800 firewall? I found something for the client but if I don't know what to do on the firewall, it doesn't help me much.. Thanks in advance to anybody that will provide me with some useful info

PS: I don't have to use certificates

Gianfranco Ambrosi

Reply to
Gfr
Loading thread data ...

RTFM

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

And why have you not looked on the D-Link website, their support pages are filled with how to setup VPN connections.

Reply to
Leythos

Someone piss in your wheaties this morning?

Reply to
Cunnilingus

What kind of VPN do you want to configure? IPSec? L2TP/PPTP or ???

What did you try so far?

Did you get any errors? If yes, what were the error messages?

The information you provided were not sufficient to enable someone to help you because you only said: I've a DLINK box and want to configure a VPN ...

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

"With your response tone I'm not lending you a hand. "

Mine?

That's Ok, I better do by myself, thanks anyway

Gfr

Reply to
Gfr

Yes. That is probably better. If you don't want to give details on what you did etc. we cannot help you. You did not mention that you have read the manual before nor did you exactly post which web sites you have checked or tried. "something" is a little bit vague, isn't it?

You don't exactly post which VPN client you use. There are various versions available.

The rest of your OP sounded very much like those posts of other people which don't care to even read the manual and just cry help once the solution does not pop up as first result in your web search...

The dlink support pages has something on "How do I configure the DS-601/DS-605 VPN software client to connect to the DFL-210/800/1600?" which sounds to me very much like the thing you want to do. But if it does not work you must give more details. What would be the benefit of pointing you again to this article if you tried it before but don't mention it nor mention what did go wrong?

Basic instructions are always in the manual and it is futile to repeat all that here. Read the manual. Try it. It contains instructions how to set up IPSec, PPTP, and L2TP. If you failed post what you have tried exactly, what settings you have used, what exact error messages you saw, messages in the logs etc.

Gerald

Reply to
Gerald Vogt

Hi, thanks for your post. I need to check again all the settings (IPSec connection): I have no time to do it during these days, as that's an extra thing I have to fix and I'm kinda busy. Last Sunday I followed some steps in the manual and set the firewall in a way similar to what is written in the Dlink support site but I still had some trouble with the IKE in the first phase...so I may have set something wrong as I was bored and tired. That's why I need to deal with it by myself. Thanks again, bye Gfr

Reply to
Gfr

Ok, I'm back. My case seems to be right the one described here

formatting link
there is something wrong and evidently I'm missing something. So..I have this dlink dfl 800 at home. It's not connected to an actual LAN because I have to set it up before connecting it to the LAN and to internet. The client is Net Defend v 1.03...which looks like the one in the example. I'm pretty sure that the problem is not the client but I did something wrong on the firewall or forgot something. In fact everything matches with the example on the dlink page..but I have a problem with the first phase of the IKE (IKE error phase 1. Lost contact to peer). Data (tx) in Kbyte results to be 5,523 so the request seems to leave the client...but evidently there's no reply from the firewall. Right because I'm not testing it on a real existing network, I must've made some mistake or forgot something. Under Interfaces - Ethernet I have a wan1 with IP 10.0.0.1, network

10.0.0.0 default gateway 10.0.0.1, no DHCP The lan is with IP 192.168.1.1, same IP for the gateway Under IP rules I set the rules just like in the example to allow any traffic to and from the client to the server, with IPsec Tunnel....

Under IPSec Tunnels, I set all-nets for Local network and Remote network, no remote endpoint, Tunnel as encapsulation mode, selected the key I had set before, then put a tick on Routing/ Dynamically add a route etc etc and Advanced/Add route for remote network

My laptop has IP 172.30.1.1 and the dlink client points to the firewall gateway with IP 10.0.0.1. I connected to the port Wan1 and tried to connect but the connection stopped at the first phase. What am I forgetting or what did I do wrong? Sorry again for bothering but since I can deal with this issue only on week ends, it's getting a bit annoying.. :P:P

Gfr

Reply to
Gfr

Oviously you have not tried whether your client 172.30.1.1 can reach

10.0.0.1 (Firewall WAN-IP) ...

So the default gateway is the firewall itself, which means that the firewall will send everything to its own external interface. That is obviouly complete crap, even for a lab setup.

No gateway to be configured here.

The client simpy cannot reach the gateway, how should he?

Configure your lab like this:

Firewall: IP-Wan: 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 gateway 10.0.0.254 IP-LAN: 10.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0

Client: 10.0.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 gateway 10.0.0.254

Connect the WAN Interface and the client to a switch and runs your tests again.

You are anooying because you try to deal with IPSec ( a rather complicated matter) but even seem to have no clue about what IP-adresses and netmasks together mean.

You have to ensure that the client can reach the firewall by putting them if the same subnet if no routers are involved.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

Back!

Actually I forgot to say that the client was using 10.0.0.2 and it was not picking the IP of my laptop. My bad, sorry. I did so many attempts that when I wrote last post I was again tired and somehow frustrated for failing

I did it on purpose. The only thing connected to the firewall was my laptop so I wanted to make all the traffic converge to 1 specific IP. Then, after making it work, I can change the gateway. Thanks for your nice opinion, honey :D

it's similar to what I did. Sorry again for omitting that the client was using its own IP

I did it with and without switch, with straight and crossover cables...but the problem was not that one. I fixed it 10 minutes ago. The problem was that I changed 263874638 times the IP settings on my ethernet card, net adaptor, client adapter, ..every time I had to connect to the LAN port of the firewall to configure it..and then to the WAN port to test it. Plus my wifi card is using another different IP too and I had to disable several times the client adaptor when I was using again the wifi network at home during the rest of the week...so..in short, the client connection was somehow screwed up. I re installed the client, checked again all the IPs, disabling the wifi at home and now it's working fine. Deo gratias

you never miss the chance to say something nasty, don't you? Well..thanks anyway..at least you tried to help me.

Bye

Gianfranco

Reply to
Gfr

That is precisely the answer we awaited for years. Thank you Wolfgang!

Reply to
lucas.g

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.