ZyDAS 1201 usb chipset Utility like Netstumbler for Windows

I am using the ZyDAS 1201 chipset in a USB wifi adapter. Don't know if this chipset is used for anything else than USB adapters. Actually for novices its exceptionally easy to set up and works very well. This chipset is not supported by Netstumbler. Are there any similar or scaled down utilities that work with this product ?

thank you

Reply to
frankdowling1
Loading thread data ...

Sorry forgot to add utility should be Windows based. At least at this point in my life.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
frankdowling1

I am running Windows 2000. Will this work on this previous version of Windows as well as XP?

snipped-for-privacy@XReXXZyDAS.usenet.us.com wrote:

Reply to
frankdowling1

No. Not just any NDIS driver will not do. It has to be NDIS 5.1 or beyond. See:

formatting link
of the W2K drivers I've played with were NDIS 4 which didn't work.

For Zydas 1201, see the Zydas comments mixed in with the garbage at:

formatting link
also mumbles that you have to set the SSID to "ANY" and disable WSC (wireless zero config) to use it with Netstumbler.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

The NetStumbler 0.4.0 on Windows XP supports anything that has an NDIS mode available. Have you tried that?

Reply to
dold

From the NetStumbler 0.4.0 release notes: "Most 802.11b, 802.11a and 802.11g wireless LAN adapters should work on Windows XP. Some may work on Windows 2000 too. Many of them report inaccurate Signal strength, and if using the "NDIS 5.1" card access method then Noise level will not be reported."

formatting link
ZD1201 IEEE 802.11b USB Adapter Yes

Reply to
dold

Thanks to the help on this group I am up and running. Reinstalled Windows 2000 fresh. Netstumbler now recognizes the USB Zydas chipset. The USB adaptor is part of a simply made concave antenna - actually a

12 inch stainless steel bowl. The receiver is attached to a post ( pencil). Duct tape and a simple base for the post ( plastic bottle cap) and we are set. The results are rather remarkable. Not compared to anything major but just for a simple setup it works remarkably well. Interestingly enough Signal strength is rather low but Link Quality is off the scale. Netstumbler does not detect many of the signals due to low signal strength. The best way for now is to use the Zydas Wireless Configuration Tool. However don't always get a SSID and the Zydas configuration tool does not provide the full scope of information. There does not seem to be any settings in the options for Netstumbler to decrease sensitivity. Does anyone have any ideas ?

thanks

snipped-for-privacy@XReXXZyDAS.usenet.us.com wrote:

Reply to
frankdowling1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.