ZyAir router as second router

Hi, Can anyone suggest some usuable adresses for my ZyAir router. It shall work as a subnet router on a LAN.

Yours Axel

Reply to
Axel Lunddahl
Loading thread data ...

No, I don't think anyone can suggest an address without you supplying information as to your existing network hardware and IP address layout.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hi, Sorry. Of course I shall provide more information: The first router on the network is a Zyxel 650 with a default IP 192.168.1.1 subnetmask 255.255.255.0 It has a DHCP-server. The router connects to a 16 port switchbox serving 8 computers and a switchbox. The second switchbox has

3 computers, an IP-telephone and a Zyair 2000 Wireless router connected. The Zyxel 650 provides IP adresses for the devices on the network. The Zyair has a default address 192.168.1.1 (the same as the Zyxel 650) How can i create a system of addresses for devices connecting via the wireless? For the moment i cannot connect through the wireless to anything. Axel
Reply to
Axel Lunddahl
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

You need to setup the ZyAir as a wireless access point, not as a router. If it doesn't have an access point mode:

1. Turn off its DHCP (client and server).
  2. Give it a fixed non-conflicting address on the subnet.
  3. Use a LAN port to c>Hi,
Reply to
John Navas

"Axel Lunddahl" hath wroth:

The Zyair 2000 cannot act as a router if the IP addresses on both the WAN and LAN sides are identical. What you want to do is convert your Zyair 2000 into an access point and ignore the router section. To do this:

1. Setup the Zyair 2000 with an IP address of 192.168.1.2 so as not to conflict with the Zyxel 650 router.
  2. Disable the DHCP server in the Zyair 2000.
  3. Do not plug anything into the WAN port on the Zyair 2000.
  4. Run an ethernet cable between one of the LAN ports on the Zyxel
650 and one of the LAN ports on the Zyair 2000. This may need to be an ethernet crossover cable if either box does not have a crossover switch or jack. Use the lights on the front of the routers to see if it's wired correctly.

The DHCP server in the Zyxel 650 should deliver IP addresses to the wireless clients. Make sure that the DHCP range does NOT include the IP address of the Zyair 2000.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Reply to
Axel Lunddahl

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.