ZoneCD & dlink DSL-G604T

Hi has anyone set up zonecd with this wireless/router successfully? Unoftunately zonecd forum is down due to too much spam, so hopefully someone here may be able to advise. I am getting 'operation failed' after boot configuring eth0. There are various settings that need sorting to be sure. Thank you. Alistair.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
Alistair George
Loading thread data ...

Yes, I have just been playing around with zoneCD myself.

Eth0 is connected via ethernet cable to the 604T.

Other than making sure the DHCP is on, there are no other settings I changed.

Make sure you know which network card is ETH0 and 1, get them mixed up and you will get your error I think. (or a duff cable)

When you configure ZoneCD you can tell it to get dynamic IP address, (from 604T) this is what I have done. (I have tried static and given it an address and it works as well)

Your ETH1 (10.10.10.1 set by Zonecd) should be connected by cable to your other wireless AP, which you should configure and make it a fixed IP of 10.10.10.2 and its own DHCP switched off.

Tested in open and closed mode - it works. Do not switch on filtering if in open mode, sites will not come up. If in closed mode and filtering is on, you can get barred from some pages, I went to delicatessant site, absolutely no dodgy stuff, and when I asked for their menu page, it refused.

Looking at the page the only thing I could think of that might have caused a problem was the word sausage !!!

Followed this which I am sure you have seen.

formatting link

Reply to
Bob L

Hi Bob. I'm using WinXP. But the problem must be hardware as you say Eth0 and Eth1 I had assumed, I guess wrongly, that since the DSL-G604T is an all-in-one router/modem/wireless that the second Eth card would not be needed eg Eth1. This is apparently the part I am missing:

-Your ETH1 (10.10.10.1 set by Zonecd) should be connected by cable to your other wireless AP, which you should configure and make it a fixed IP of 10.10.10.2 and its own DHCP switched off.

-

Thank you for your advice, the hardware here is only a PC with network card and Dlink 604T. Kind regards, Alistair.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
Alistair George

You do need 2 computers to do this job if you want to use your own computer whilst running public access availabilty.

You can use just one, but you will not be able to use you computer other than for browsing, and you still need 2 network cards in the computer and the wireless access point.

The second computer can be almost any old one as long as it can boot from cd, has floppy drive or usb for saving the config and has 2 ethernet cards.

I am currently using a 500mhz 7 year old computer with 128mb ram, 2 network cards, floppy drive and a cheap CNET CWA-854 access point, it has single network connection, and you have to connect the unit to the computer (eth1) with a crossover cable.

Your 604T becomes the gateway, you need a cheap wireless access point, and put it on a different channel to your 604T.

If you look at their pictures you will see what is required.

The public access 10.10.10.x becomes totally seperate from your own network 192.168.1.x .

system works by new access point asking for ip address when a public computer connects to computer 2, eth1 zonecd then issues the ip address 10.10.10.x.

requests from the public computer are passed from computer 2, eth1 via zonecd to eth0( in computer 2),which then sends the requests to the net via cable to 604T, incoming data comes from the 604T, is then passed to computer 2,eth0 and then onto eth1(computer 2) via zoncd to the public computer.

Reply to
Bob L

You do need 2 computers to do this job if you want to use your own computer whilst running public access availabilty.

You can use just one, but you will not be able to use you computer other than for browsing, and you still need 2 network cards in the computer and the wireless access point.

The second computer can be almost any old one as long as it can boot from cd, has floppy drive or usb for saving the config and has 2 ethernet cards.

I am currently using a 500mhz 7 year old computer with 128mb ram, 2 network cards, floppy drive and a cheap CNET CWA-854 access point, it has single network connection, and you have to connect the unit to the computer (eth1) with a crossover cable.

Your 604T becomes the gateway, you need a cheap wireless access point, and put it on a different channel to your 604T.

The public access 10.10.10.x becomes totally seperate from your own network 192.168.1.x .

system works by new access point asking for ip address when a public computer connects to computer 2, eth1 zonecd then issues the ip address 10.10.10.x.

requests from the public computer are passed from computer 2, eth1 via zonecd to eth0( in computer 2),which then sends the requests to the net via cable to 604T, incoming data comes from the 604T, is then passed to computer 2,eth0 and then onto eth1(computer 2) via zoncd to the public computer.

Reply to
Bob L

formatting link

Reply to
Bob L

Thank you very much chaps for your valued input. The hardware requirement for this method is not really suitable in my instance, because I want to leave the wifi running continuously on a laptop for low power consumption and convenience. I'll probably go for 2hotspot or DNSredirector. Alistair.

formatting link

Reply to
Alistair George

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.