Wep vs WPA: Linksys WRT54GS

WPA vs WEP....which is better and why? What settings do you recommend for WPA? Currently using WEP 128 bit.

Please advise.

Reply to
Buck Naked
Loading thread data ...

I have a wrt54g and have ran in both modes. I really didnt see a big difference in speed loss. WPA si more secure due to the fact that the wep key can be cracked fairly easier with programs available on the web.

Reply to
Airhead

Not everyone here will agree with me but for a home network I would suggest that 128bit WEP is sufficient unless there is anything particularly critical stored on your system.

Other than that WPA-PSK would seem to provide a more secure alternative and is generally pretty easy to implement. There is a slight increase in processing overheads which is likely to take

1-3mbit/sec off your throughput (it varies from unit to unit) but, providing you use a long and jumbled key, it should very considerably increase security.

I cannot offer any advice on how it is implemented using the unit to which you refer.

Reply to
Simon Pleasants

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.