wireless survey

Hi All,

I was curious about how many of you have gotten site surveys for your wlan. i was also curious as to what the cost was. i am asking as I could potentially have lots of new wlan sites and was wondering if it would be more cost effective to get the equipment and do them myself. I am not sure what a survey entails, so this is just something i was thinking about.

TIA,

R
Reply to
rhltechie
Loading thread data ...

Where are you based ?

Reply to
corb

I've done a few genuine site surveys for WISP (wireless ISP's). Basically, I sniff around with a borrowed spectrum analyzer and look for potential sources of interference. I also use Netstumbler and Kismet to look for other wireless networks. I also spend some time on the internet and look for municipal WLAN's, hot spots, and utilities that use wireless (i.e. power, refinery, railroad, etc). Also, if a rooftop is available, I look around for antennas that may cause problems. In one case, a large area was going to be covered so the sniffing had to be done from multiple locations. I did some checking with the city/county to make sure that there were no plans for a municipal wireless network (there were). I also produced Radio-Mobile propogation estimates for possible access point locations and a fancy PDF report.

You could probably do all this yourself. If you want, I can list the equipment and software you'll need. If you search Google for "site survey kit", there are several bundles available. Some potential problems are:

1. Interpreting the spectrum analyzer display. Download and view this PowerPoint slide show:
    formatting link
    (3.4MB) Note the spectrum analyzer photo on Page 13. Could you recognize the systems? It's really easy to miss signals. Incidentally, you might check if your area has some form of coordination:
    formatting link
  2. Finding a location to do the testing from is tricky. In general, you want to be where the equipment is going to be placed. In reality, getting access to rooftops and high places is a pain. You also have to drag along quite a bit of equipment and antennas. I've had the local police express an eggagerated interest in what I was doing.
  3. Producing a report that was intelligible to the money jugglers was a major problem. That may sound easy but it's not. If this is for yourself, of course no report is necessary.
  4. Site surveys are actually moving targets. An area that's clear of RF pollution today, may not be so tomorrow. If you're doing the WISP thing, then monitoring for other systems should be a continuous exercise. Unfortunatly, I've never convinced anyone to do so.

Incidentally, I just bought one of these spectrum analyzers.

formatting link
"good enough" for interference detection. However, I have not had time to do a proper field test, which is waiting for some SMA connectors to arrive so I can attach an external antenna.

Don't send me email asking for a price quote. I don't wanna do any more site surveys and reports. I made enough money to make it worth the travel, but it's just too much work to do it right.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Nobody ever likes to hear the costs associated with a survey done "right".

Right?

Reply to
Bryce

LOL, I suppose not.

Thanks for the info Jeff.

Reply to
rhltechie

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.