Wireless Security

Options:-

1. Turn it off again

1. Tell us what hardware you've got and we might be able to tell you what your options are.

Aim for WPA if everything you have supports it.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor
Loading thread data ...

"Anthony Farmer" wrote in news:4386a892$0$28309$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au:

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Activate WPA with a secure passphrase (20-63 randomly generated characters) for WPA-PSK or activate WPA2 (it's better but not every AP or wireless card has it).

Reply to
johnny

Hello all I am a newbie to wireless and was wondering about security I am in a block of units and as far as I know I am the only one within Cooee using wireless is there a way to beef up my security

any replies grateful

cheers

Tony

Reply to
Anthony Farmer

Can't remember whether WPA is an option on that one, if it is go for that if not, you're pretty much stuck with a WEP key. Just remember to change it every 10 minutes if you're paranoid.

Don't bother trying to hide the SSID broadcasts or set MAC filters, they're redundant in the context of security.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

So Sorry David I have a dlink di-524 router and a adaptor card dlink dwl-g510

also a dlink moderm dsl-302g

cheers

Tony

Reply to
Anthony Farmer

With random characters, 16 is sufficient, and even 12 is probably enough. The advice for more than 20 characters applies to word-based passphrases.

Reply to
John Navas

many thankx Dave I will try WPA if I can get into it ..lol.. Tony

Reply to
Anthony Farmer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.