wireless router with built-in analogue modem

i'm looking to hook up two laptops to a dial-up internet connection using wifi? does anyone know of any routers that will let me do this. i'd prefer a single box solution but realise that a wireless router (with serial port) and external modem maybe my only choice.

any advice would be appreciated

Cheers ws

Reply to
websavages
Loading thread data ...

Apple Airport Extreme is an all in one solution.

Reply to
John

The only one I know of is

formatting link
I've got one and it seems to do something, but I haven't actually set it up, configured it, or used it yet. Kinda pricey, but nice and small. Wish it came with a carrying case for iself and it's power supply, but you can't have everything...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

I bought a buffalo wlarr-l1-m-1 wireless router a year or so ago for

40 uk pounds (60dollars?) second hand ebay. It has a built in 56k modem. But while it works to be honest I rarely used the modem part and ended up using internet connection sharing from one of the pc's which resulted in a faster more reliable connection. I also found it slightly odd not being able to tell when it was dialing up or connected properly. I also had the impression that it was not an idea that took off as not many of that type seemed to be around and they were v expensive new. I can't see any on ebay at the moment. I suspect they never made and 802.11g ones just b.

To be honest I'd go with a router with a backup serial port and something generically reliable like a 56kb us robotics modem which can be bought very cheaply these days second hand. I think you will end up with a better result.

Reply to
ff

Netgear's FWG114P, can support an external modem...and has numerous other features, that may make you overlook the external modem issue.

Bill Crocker

Reply to
Bill Crocker

Have a look on Ebay for an RG1000....

E.

Reply to
Mayhem

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.