Wireless roaming between access points connected by a switch

Hi,

I know this question has got quite a lot of air time over the last few months (years even) but I am still looking for a definitive answer.

We are considering using one of the new Netgear Smart switches (FS726TP) with POE to connect to Netgear POE Access Points. The confusion I have is that use netgear switches in the past, we experienced problems with clients roaming between 2 access points, which we attributed to delays in updating the MAC address table in the switch. Netgear's response was that this is inherent in switch design, so use a hub. (Which we are doing.)

The problem is, how can they give us that advice on the (FS750T) and at the same time recommend the POE version for use with APs. Is there some magic proprietary technology in use that suddenly makes it work? I would love to find out! Does anyone have any experience or advice. These new Netgear POE switches look perfect for us, but not if we need to use power supplies and hubs!

Thanks

Martin

Reply to
chimpan_z
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.