Help removing Belkin firmware

I have a wireless Belkin router F5D6231-4 that I'm starting to have problems with. I can no longer maintain a connection with my other two computers. One is a desktop right in the other room, as the bird fly's about three feet but on the other side of the wall. It has a Belkin wireless card. The other is my notebook. It's a Dell with an internal card. Don't have a clue as to what brand it is. I have changed the channels one at a time to try and get the best connection. For example if I find channel 8 I can get both wireless computers online. I will loose the connection after a period of time on one or both of the computers. There are no wireless phones close to any of the computers or microwaves. Noting has changed in my house or neighborhood. I went online and found the firmware and ran it for my router. I called Belkin and after a couple hours they told me I needed to remove my old firmware first. Then they either hung up on me or we were disconnected. Where is this located? I do not see it in Add/Remove software Thanks

Reply to
Karen
Loading thread data ...

I suggest you get back on the phone with the router's Tech Support and let them help you.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Karen,

Their website shows an updated firmware for Aus. but only the original for the US.

formatting link
The manual (which is also available on that page) describes how to update the firmware on page 61 under "using the web-based advanced user interface."

Reply to
Curly Bill

I am so sorry I meant to respond to group and sent to your email instead

Thanks, I did everything that was suggested on their site except download the update from my Router setup page. It never did connect so I just downloaded the firmware and hopefully overwrote the original one. Guess maybe my router is bad. Will call them again when I have a couple of hours Thanks again

Reply to
Karen
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

The firmware has to be uploaded from your PC into the router using the appropriate router interface screen. It doesn't install on your PC.

Reply to
John Navas

It's nonetheless likely that the source of your problem is wireless interference. It's also possible that your computers are actually connecting to a neighbor's wireless, not your own. Make sure to set a unique SSID in your router (e.g., "Karen Wireless"), and use only that unique SSID in all of your computers.

Reply to
John Navas

I realize that. I was just stating that the firmware would not download from my "router" page. I did download the firmware from Belkin. Opened the router setup page and installed from there. I still have the same problem. Belkin is sending me a new router. They think the router I have is bad. By the time it gets here I will have a Netgear installed. Thanks to all

Reply to
Karen

See my other response to you.

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks for your responces and help. I do use a "unique SSID" and I know how to look and make sure that my other two computers use my SSID. As you suggested I can see my neighbors and in the case of my desktop can actually connect to my neighbor router with a better connection than I get with my Belkin, no matter which channel I select.

Thanks again

Reply to
Karen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.