wireless network interfering with sky TV reception?

Folks,

I have a standard 11g wireless network operating from a 2Wire 2700HGV router (aka BT "Business Hub"). My neighbours have recently complained that their sky TV reception is bad

- apparently the reception pixellates and loses sound. They are convinced that its my wireless network interfering, as they have noticed that is worse when I am working.

I have never heard of this - Is this possible? If so what can be done to reduce or eliminate interference? Change wireless channels? Or install another piece of kit?

Thanks - Adam

Reply to
Adam Lipscombe
Loading thread data ...

No.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Winkless

Are they using a video sender using frequencies close to your wireless network? Otherwise it seems unlikely.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Yes its possible. But its not very likely and would require a faulty router and/or a faulty Sky.

Do they use a wireless video sender? These operate on the same frequency as the 11g wireless LAN. You can get picture interference if they are together.

Either problem can probably be reduced by moving the wireless farther away if its possible.

You could got to 802.11a but its not cheap. Best to get them to fix their Sky.

Reply to
dennis

It's possible, but I would count it fairly unlikely on a satellite system - it is far more likely to be a an issue with your neighbour's system. It should be noted though that us Radio Amateurs have a long history of having to deal with TVI, and experience shows that blaming a neighbours poorly designed or installed TV equipment doesn't go down at all well ;)

You can contact OFCOM and ask them to send an engineer out to check on the cause of the interference, but they can (and often do) charge for this so you are better off trying to resolve it yourself; powering down your WiFi and see if the problem persists would be an obvious first step.

Reply to
Richard Parkin

But don't _tell_ them you've done it, obviously.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Winkless

Adam Lipscombe hath wroth:

(aka BT "Business

bad - apparently the

network interfering,

Sounds like there hasn't been any effort made to isolate the problem or the source. Rhetorical questions to ask:

1. Is it all the time or intermittent inteference?
  2. Is it on all channels or just some channels? Is there any pattern to the channels the show interference.
  3. Pixelation and loss of sound are symptoms of lack of signal. What does the settop box signal strength show? A marginal signal will cause these symptoms without outside interference.
  4. How far away is his antenna and his set top box from your wireless? Just curious as a sanity check.
  5. Is his RG-6/u coax cable from the dish to the settop box properly crimped? An exposed shield anywhere along the line will allow external signal to enter. It will also cause some signal loss which kinda sounds like what he's setting.

It's possible but very unlikely.

1. The DBS satellite receiver downconverts from 12-13GHz to 0.950 to about 2200MHz. It's the 2200MHz that's a problem. Your 2.4GHz signal might be sneaking into his settop box and causing problems. However, it would take a very strong signal to do this, and it would only appear on some channels, not all channels. See question #2 above.

1. Is your neighbor using a 2.4Ghz wireless TV extension (i.e. X10)? Your wireless device can certainly interfere with those. Same with an

802.11g wireless video extension.

I really doubt that you're the cause of the neighbors problem. However, you might be helpful in explaining that there's little your access point can do to cause general signal loss and that re-aligning the dish or repairing the coax cable might be a good idea.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Very broad statement as you don't know all the circumstances!!!

Dave

Reply to
gort

Do it the other way, tell them you've powered off when you haven't. That way, if they say it's gone away then it's obviously not your problem and if they say no change then it's obviously not your problem either because your stuff was 'off'.

Reply to
Dave {Reply Address In.sig}

Please come up with a plausible way for 2.4Ghz signals to interfere with shielded coax cable (other than by wrapping the coax round the wireless router, or somesuch...!).

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Dave {Reply Address In.sig}"

Reply to
kráftéé

Poor cable, direct pick via the sky box, IF interfernce as you don't know its actual 2.4GHz or another frequency. As I said, you made such a bold statement without knowing all the facts. Oh yes, ever heard of the rusty bolt effect ?.

Dave

Reply to
gort

Fair enough, if you have the router right next to your sky box , and both are poorly insulated, I guess they might mess with each other. I've not done the sums mind you, is there a shared harmonic?

No I didn't. Check the attributions and don't assume a response is from the OP.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Theoretically. The most likely cause is harmonic coupling between the router (2G4Hz) and the first IF in their receiver (950 - 2150MHz), probably at 1G2Hz. This might affect BBC channels on tp13.

Another possibility is direct coupling at the LNB to give a false IF at

12G150MHZ, which might affect tp23 ($ky sports channels, Eurosport and C4).

There might also be leakage through the mains, phones or common aerial wires.

Move the router (away from where their dish / box is); turn router if it has more than one aerial. Use cables if possible.

Yes. This will at least change the affected channels.

Filter on the mains. ADSL filter on the phone wire into their $ky box. Install separate TV aerial (if shared) High pass filter on TV lead. Bit of kitchen foil on the wall if their receiver is just the other side.

Another factor is that $ky reception on 45cm dishes is marginal, especially in the north. Trees, rain and wind movement can all upset reception and cause the effects described. If your using the PC happens to coincide with bad weather then the drop outs are probably just coincidental. Persuade your neighbours to ask $ky for a bigger dish, or just buy them a 60cm one (~£20).

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.