Wireless network (intel 3945) with hidden SSID working with Vista but not with XP

Hi,

I have my wireless network configured with hidden SSID and WPA-PSK security enabled. It has been worked fine this way for years with my old laptop (it had an intel 2200 adapter and XP SP2). Now my new Toshiba laptop (Satellite A100-383, Intel 3945ABG, dual boot Vista and XP SP2) can connect automatically to the network when running Vista with no problems at all, but it can´t do it when running XP.

I noticed I can force XP find the network and connect to it if I run the XP wireless configuration assistant, and after that XP re-connects automatically to my network (although rather slowly). But the problem is that after 3 or 4 reboots, XP is unable to find the network and connect to it again, and I need to run the XP wireless assistant again to fix it.

I know all this thing sounds weird, but I reproduced this behavior a lot of times. I have the most recent Intel 3945 drivers for XP to date (11.5.0.32). I know that my problem could be solved if I unhide my wireless SSID (I also know that a hidden SSID does not improve security substantially), but i think that if it worked with my old laptop and if it´s working also with my new laptop running Vista, it SHOULD work flawlessly on XP...

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
Mercurial
Loading thread data ...

Do you have kb917021 installed in XP?

formatting link
Changes for nonbroadcast networks The Wireless Client Update lets you configure wireless networks as broadcast networks or as nonbroadcast networks. Additionally, Wireless Auto Configuration sends probe requests only for nonbroadcast networks.

Reply to
LR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.