Wireless Disconnects me

Hi, I am by a company where there is 3 small accesspoints, and a couple

of times every day the other users and me gets disconnected, and its not at the same time.

Sometime it happens alot and other times it dosent happen.

What can it be ? Can it be becaus the channels on the 3 router are to close ? at the moment they are 1,2 and 3. or can it be becaus 2 of the accespoints are to close to easy other ? Also there are only 6 meters between 2 of the hotspots, can that have some thing to say ?

Best Regerds Peter

Reply to
Driogan
Loading thread data ...

On 1 Nov 2006 00:07:28 -0800, "Driogan" wrote in :

The usual problem is interference. See types and remedies in the wikis below.

Those are seriously interfering. Try 1, 6, 11, which are the 3 channels with minimum interference.

Really bad to be so close when they are on overlapping channels like that.

Reply to
John Navas

Hi do you know if there is any thing we can do about the interfirence from cell phones ?

John Navas skrev:

Reply to
Driogan

"Driogan" hath wroth:

There is no interfernce from cell phones. Wanna be more specific? (Hardware, models, symptoms, etc).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Some times when ppl uses there cell phones some one near by or them self gets disconnected.

Jeff Liebermann skrev:

Reply to
Driogan

Do you really mean "cell phones?" Or _cordless_ phones? 2.4 gig cordless phones can kill your wireless internet. You can try changing channels on your router (although, you seem to be using a lot of channels). Alternately, you can replace your 2.4 gig phones with 900 mHz, or 5.8 gig, I guess, although that one may be a problem soon too. We're using channel 6, and the 2.4 phone we use doesn't seem to interfere with our internet.

Reply to
Warren Oates

"Driogan" hath wroth:

Does the cell phone disconnect or the wireless user?

There are some really remote possibilities. Nextel IDEN phones transmit on 806 to 866MHz. The 4th harmonic lands near the 2.4GHz band and might cause a problem. However, I've tested such phones and found no problems. You're also in Denmark where I don't believe these frequencies are used for cellular.

Another possibility is intermodulation and mixing among your multiple access points. If they are on channels 1, 2, and 3 as you indicate, you will have mutual interference. You will also have a mixing of transmit signals which may land on the receiver channels. Add a cell phone transmit frequency into the mixing and the frequency combinations are endless.

I suggest that you:

1. Move the access points to channels 1, 6, and 11.
  2. Evaluate if you really need 3 access points. You probably do not.
  3. Seperate the antennas and access points so that they don't see each other.
  4. Identify the type of cell phone and access points that are causing problems.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I love it. My neighbour plays a piano; how many nodes away from middle-c would get to my wireless router?

Reply to
Warren Oates

Warren Oates hath wroth:

That depends on what your wireless router perfers. My router seem to prefer listening to classical, new age, and opera. I suspect that if I played grunge, techno, glitch, or punk, it would "get to" my router and probably cause it to crash or hang. I suggest you document what your neighbor is playing, and correlate it with how well your router is working. I'm sure there's a connection.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for the reply. My router seems to hang about halfway through any Edith Piaf tune. It emits what sounds like a sob and just stops working until I dip its antenna into a small amount of Armagnac and blow Gauloise smoke in its general direction.

Reply to
Warren Oates

Warren Oates hath wroth:

Well, what did you expect? All her ballads and movies were tragedies. The poor router is probably sobbing its CPU out trying desperately to maintain its composure. Try interleaving her tunes with something more light hearted, uplifting, and perhaps comical as a suitable balance. If that doesn't help, I suggest installing the French version of the firmware, which is probably optimized for such depressing faire. I'm not sure why the brandy and tobacco smog seems to help. Try looking in the router log files for slurred entries and coughing. If that's the case, there are several good 12 step programs that will help cure your router of these disgusting habits.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.